Thread: Tabletop Enclosure

Default Tabletop Enclosure

I really liked the Shopbot full enclosure but the price seemed a little high, at least until I looked at the price of plexiglas.

Here is my version of it. I made it tall and large because i like to have a little room around me when I work on stuff. The back and base are made of 3/4 inch plywood (at last that is what sLowes calls it!) and the rest of 1/2 inch, I used two sheets of 1/2 and one sheet of 3/4. The widows are made from 1/4 inch plexiglass. I used 2 36x36 pieces and found some on line that was truly .250 thick.

It seems to weigh about 60 lbs. It does a really good job of damping sound. You can just barely hear the spindle operating, and talking in normal tones while cutting is not a problem.

Total bill for the project was about $300, I did the cutting on my Buddy 48x48 but a lot of it could be done on a table saw.

The windows are set on to 1/4 inch ledges and held in place by aluminum tabs 2 inches long. After I put them in place I filled the trench between the opening and the plastic with silicon caulk for sound damping.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice box and the right color I might add. I too like the enclosure but found it expensive. Maybe I'll try your approach.
    Nice work.

That's a good looking enclosure. Very nice result. I like the interior lighting - it looks well thought out.

Graeme
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Here is a tip for cheap plexiglass...Go down to your local habitat for humanity store and you can usually buy aluminum storm doors complete with large panes of plexiglass for like $10-$20.00.
    I did this for a front pane for my solar hot air heater and my solar hot water heater.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson