Thread: Payback?

Default Payback?

I am a new member and thinking about purchasing a desktop; however, putting out the money for this machine is a big step for me. I was wondering if I could make some money for repayment of the machine by using and selling some of the "canned" projects already in the software. If so, about how long does it take? 2 -3 years? Thank you for any help you can send my way. John

I have had my machine for a while. I bought it with the intent to eventually make a minor business out of its use. So far, I have made some money; but really nothing that I could call a profit on any individual project.

However, at this time, I am still learning about things with the machine. I am finding out easier ways to do the things I did "the hard way" before. I am still in a point in my life that I don't need to make money from it. So, for me, the learning is the payback. While learning, I am also gaining some reputation which while also help out later.

I can imagine ways to make some money (crafting gifts that would sell well for Christmas and the like) but cannot demonstrate the viability of such a venture.

Buying a CNC with the hopes of making money will rarely make you any money.

There are already hundreds of people selling variations of "stock" models and carvings, typically for much less than they are worth.

CNC's make money by making an existing business more profitable, by doing things you couldn't do without one, or buy making existing processes more efficient.

Read the threads posted by Genek. This man has the plan for making money and is authentic. Not sure if the desktop is a good fit for this kind of work but I believe that most of the stuff he makes is not very large
    so it would just be more loading/unloading.

Substitute 'table saw' or 'drill press' with CNC or machine in the 1st post. The answer is completely dependent upon you hustling & has nothing to do with the tool itself. The projects, while a wonderful resource for noobs to exercise - are pretty basic & depending on your location and marketing strategy, you might have to pay to give them away.

Don't let anyone fool you...just owning a CNC is no different than owning a bulldozer. You still have to advertise, bid and do the work. There's still money to be made at it, but it's all up to you. However, if you are astute enough to understand the true value of being an owner/operator, it is one of the few occupations where you can preserve some sovereignty without needing to check in with big brother at every turn...or deal with office people every day.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Where in Maryland? Near Yachting areas? Marine signs, half-hulls, etc.
    Work trade shows with quick small signs.

Show your carvings to sign shops, Kitchen Shops, etc. as a value added item for them to resell.

No one will flock to your door to buy your better mousetrap-It's all in how you market it. I know a guy who ended up with good carving jobs by giving away small carved mens and womens signs for pubs and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWittkamper View Post
    I am a new member and thinking about purchasing a desktop; however, putting out the money for this machine is a big step for me. I was wondering if I could make some money for repayment of the machine by using and selling some of the "canned" projects already in the software. If so, about how long does it take? 2 -3 years? Thank you for any help you can send my way. John
    I have a bit of a unique perspective on this - as woodworking is my livelihood, but I also have turned a few of my other hobbies into profitable sides as well.

I think, if you are somewhat business minded, you can figure out what you can do to make $$. But, it usually requires a LOT of effort (nothing is easy unless you have a machine to print hundred dollar bills). And if you dont enjoy it, then you wont put in the effort required.

Related more to the CNC and woodworking, I purchased mine to compliment my other woodworking machinery in my shop, for use in making furniture components. What I have seen in the last 3+ years, is that I do use it for things other than what I had originally intended. Two things in particular - I am NOT a sign maker, however I have done enough signs in the past few years on an informal basis (basically when I get asked to do them) that at least a 1/4 to a 3rd of my machine cost ($21K new in 2012) has been paid with signage, and my other occasional item (carving boards, ie, cutting boards with a slanted surface to catch the drippings) has also earned me at least 5 to 6K in that time period. If I actually went after that market I am sure I could have made several times that easily... as again, I make them up when asked. They are just things I do or get one of my guys to make up when people ask. They seem to sell well and many people come back for more as gifts etc.

If you do something original (in your locality) that has a purpose and people will want to buy, then with some work selling, you will probably be able to sell. But you need to work on it... and if something doesnt work, try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    CNC's make money by making an existing business more profitable, by doing things you couldn't do without one, or buy making existing processes more efficient.
    I agree with this 100%. You just need to figure out what you can both make, and make profitably - and that will sell in your local market at a profitable price. Then make a lot of them!