Thread: Fuji vs Earlex - HVLP Spray System

Default Fuji vs Earlex - HVLP Spray System

I've started looking into buying a HVLP Spray Gun system, and have narrowed it down to either Fuji or Earlex. Still working on narrowing down which of each brand I'm going to consider, all depends on budget (but will not be buying the entry sub-$200 systems), but would like to hear feedback from anyone on the two brands.

Also, any thoughts on Gravity Fed versus Bottom Feed cups for the paint holder?

This isn't necesarily for sign making but for overall finishing work (wasn't sure what forum group to put this in)
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Daniel , I have the Fuji Mini Mite 4 with the gravity feed gun(GXPC) which I converted to use the 3M PPS paint cups , large and small , I am very happy with the gun , I spray mostly lacquers , the fan control is fantastic on the XPS , so is the feed control , lays down a great finish . Good selection of nozzles available , i highly recommend the Fuji's .Here is some pics of what the gun can do

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Holmes View Post
    Daniel , I have the Fuji Mini Mite 4 with the gravity feed gun(GXPC) which I converted to use the 3M PPS paint cups , large and small , I am very happy with the gun , I spray mostly lacquers , the fan control is fantastic on the XPS , so is the feed control , lays down a great finish . Good selection of nozzles available , i highly recommend the Fuji's .Here is some pics of what the gun can do
    thanks, never heard of the 3M PPS paint cups before, but after watching a video of it at http://3mcollision.com/products/pain...aration-system (which seems like one of those old school educational videos from the 80's) I see I need to up my budget a little to add that to my wish list!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Have 2 Fuji systems for 12 yrs now and they have been abused in a production environment without any issues...Of course we have changed out needles, caps, and cup parts. If you are spraying long runs you need the extension hose as the air heats up quickly...also get several cleaning kits. We spray mostly waterborne finishes so your best friend to clean gun and cup is acetone after water and soap. Take a look at spraygunworld.com...they have some good products and the sales people know their products.
    Vector Studio 22

Any reason you prefer a system vs a compressor and gun? Also, you really need to consider what you're spraying in order to make a decision on what kind of gun/system you want. If you're looking to spray latex, it's a completely different world compared to clears or even "automotive" paint.

I use a fuji mini mite 4. I have been using it for about 2 years daily spraying lacquers, latex paints, poly, and occasionally enamels. I have never used a compressor and regular spray systems though. I LOVE this system. I do have the small whip hose and have had to replace the consumables like filters, but using acetone for cleaner occasionally as mentioned above, this thing is one of the best tools I have.

Don't forget organic vapor protection especially when spraying oil based or any 2 part finishes, or lacquers. Even water based/borne products require protection... pick up the 3m cartridges on amazon quickly and easily.
    PRS Alpha 96" X 48" w/ 12" Z
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8

I have an Earlex 6900. Can't adjust airflow. Siphon fed cup. Poor atomization, even when using the proper tips. I shoot water based clears exclusively. Parts are a giant pain to get. Not enough power from the 3 stage.
    Realllly poor filter design.

I can get great finishes with it, but it's taken 6 years to do.

I do not recommend.

+1 for Fuji. as everyone has mentioned, awesome gun.
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

Over the past thirty years I've made acquaintance with just about every kind of spray-gun. The photo below is one of my last purchased. As stated before, the equipment should match the job. This one is sold as a touch-up gun but it's not really what you're thinking. Nothing like the dainty Fuji which is capable of truly delicate beautiful work. This is a battery powered "Draco" capable of delivering heavy, clean, fast coats of Latex or for finishing interior cabinets with lacquer.

I've outfitted mine with a narrow 4" pattern tippit. This allows me to cover rough cedar and textured surfaces in two quick coats. I'm using PPG DTM for most of this kind of work. Since there's no air supply there's very little, if any, over spray.

I know this kind of equipment isn't the staple of SB'ers because it's kind of pricy. About $600.00 price tag. The justification for the commercial shop is time saved, which equals to money. At this time we have 24@ 2'X7' woodgrained panels to finish. Painting time will be less than an hour.

Joe Crumley
    Norman Sign Co. Com
    Attached Images Attached Images