Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PRSalpha BT48 buddy vs PRSalpha 48

Erik, Michael...
    All the full size machines use 2 X motors and one of them is always running the opposite direction of the first.
    Gary

good point Gary

Cool! So maybe we could get ShopBot to offer us a retrofit for our Buddys to make them work better? Hint hint!

Mike

Michael...
    IF I were to buy a Buddy to "play" with, I would add a system similar to the JessEm Mast R SLide (2 of them) and have a very rigid platform with 48" range of motion. That would put a total of 60 roller bearings under the table. This should increase both the load capacity and the level of accuracy. Add a 3/8" solid Aluminum table base for a super setup. Those parts and a longer rack should be under $2k. Very nice prototype machine.
    Gary

Gary,

I like the concept! But, if I had more room, I'd have gotten a full-size machine to start with. That wasn't in the cards when I ordered this machine. I accept the limitations of my Buddy and will look to buy a bigger unit when I get my new shop in a year or two. The Buddy is pretty amazing and will pay for itself in no time. It does all the things I need for my businesses (the large signs were an after-thought to make extra cash and help out a friend). I think I was asking too much to expect it to do 1/2" letters on that big a piece. Even with an extra motor it might be a tough task! I'm working on a flat-surface table right now (Humidity is an issue here so it will be a plastic or aluminum eggcrate type construction) but I am slammed until Spring so it will have to wait. I may trim my stick to 8' to help with the weight issues (especially now that I better understand how to index stock with pins) and see how that works. I do so little oversized stuff that I don't see that as a limitation...

Mike