Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering materials for longevity

to paint ipe you would seal it with shellac first or maybe a shellac based primer. never tested paint on it though. except for color purpleheart is a great outdoor wood too. no oil and extremely stable and pretty good price at least here.

Steve,

I'd be remise to recommend any product that I haven't tried and proven to work in my local. I'm quiet sure shellac, which is a wonderful primer, will make IPE stable enough to paint on. For those of you who want to experiment, try painting a milk bottle. Let us know.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Steve,

I'd be remise to recommend any product that I haven't tried and proven to work in my local. I'm quiet sure shellac, which is a wonderful primer, will make IPE stable enough to paint on. For those of you who want to experiment, try painting a milk bottle. Let us know.

Joe
    I agree I have been testing things and finish I know IPE will hold up inself but as far as finish that needs to be tested.

Background Extira. Logo HDU. Letters PVC. Paint Matthews and some acrylic. Hours vinyl on PVC
    IMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Naumenko View Post
    Background Extira. Logo HDU. Letters PVC. Paint Matthews and some acrylic. Hours vinyl on PVC
    Alex that is an excellent example of mixing materials. Mathews Paint is the best in my opinion. I sold my mixing station back in 2006 when i moved 800 miles to GA. But I have a few jobs I cut from extira and primed and painted with Mathews back up there that to this day still look perfect up close. So that's about 10 years and paint is still good. Nothing like catalized paint. I will have to get one of the guys up north to take a pic so I can try to share. Anything you paint with Mathews is bullet proof, but it's not cheap and a paint booth is suggested. We ended up saving a lot of money by mixing a quart or pint at a time. And it's so easy to make the same color every time. I think most people don't know how easy it is to mix paint and match colors........Thanks for your post, that sign is a winner.

Dave