Thread: Modeling a LARGE 3D/Relief design in Aspire

Threaded View

Default Modeling a LARGE 3D/Relief design in Aspire

Hello Shopbot friends:

I have just started modeling a large Victorian relief carving for an old house. This panel is mounted right over the front stairs of a house, and is only 9 feet above the stairs, so this will be seen up close, and details must be sharp. I have never made such a large relief carving. I am using the newest version of Aspire.

Background 1: I made the job set-up so that the material would be the same size as the finished panel (over 11 feet wide). I set the resolution at "Very High" (7x slower). I started to model the simplest part, then looked at the 3D view, and as you can see from the attachment, the resolution is crummy. Then I went, "DUH, this carving is so big (11feet wide), and the part I am modeling is so small (about 16" by 10") that of course the resolution will be terrible." So, I decided to just model this little base part by itself, and changed the job setup material dimensions to 16" by 10". The apparent resolution was not improved at all.

Question 1: Do I have to erase the 3d models I have already created, and recreate them after I have changed the job size in order to get better resolution?

Background 2: The acanthus branches on this design are big, about half of the width of the panel.

Question 2: What do I do to make a high resolution model of the branches without having to break the branch into a bunch of little pieces? (I'd rather model the entire object as one big part if I can so I can look at the entire design from multiple angles.)

Question 3: How do you get to the "SUPER" resolution modes in Aspire? I recall you have to hold Ctrl, or something, when turning on Aspire, but I couldn't find that in the training videos. Will this be sufficient to allow me to make a high resolution model of the entire panel all as a single piece?

Thank you very much for any suggestions, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5