Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missed You Guys!!!

Default Missed You Guys!!!

I haven't been in the shop since early Winter, and it's tough to visit here and not be tormented.
    Been sick, but that's in order now.
    My back, it's not in order. I have a bunch of screws and rods and bone grafts in there from when I broke it in an accident, and now all the screws are loose, and the bone grafts snapped off at the top and bottom.
    So I get a bunch of new gear in about 4-6 more weeks. Extra screws, longer rods, and cages that'll get bone grafts. Plus replacing the broken stuff and adding more grafts.
    They're going in from the front and back to make it right, it's pretty gross.

I'll be laid up for quite a few months, and THEN I can finally get back to work.

Nothing sucks worse than not being able to work. Imagine chaining Gene to a radiator. He'd chew his arm off just to get back at it.
    I'm just as bad. Always have been.

I'm finally on the downhill side of this thing, and if you guys would send some prayers up for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    I'll have plenty of time to study, design, and torment you guys while I get healed up. I'm looking forward to it!!!

Scott…
    Been there done that… And it really is nice when you can get back to the shop!
    Prayers offered for you and those that have to put up with you while you’re feeling poorly!
    SG

Scott maybe you can take your "healing time" and use it to accumulate and create files, make and design projects that you will create once you get back to the shop. I know the feeling of "bot withdrawal" you'll be going thru while not being able to get in the shop having had a couple operations and a heart attack myself but you can always come here and see how much fun all the rest of us is having!!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

That sounds harsh Scott. Godspeed on your recovery. Perhaps you could get a desk top machine to use during your rehabilitation once you can sit in a wheelchair. just a thought. Bob

Gee, it sounds like you have had a really rough time. Did you get into a car wreck, or fall off a ladder?

I hope you get well soon, and can get back to enjoying the pleasures of good hard work in your shop. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Been wondering where you disappeared to?
    Had both posterior and anterior along with a 5 screw(2 screws broken now--think they buy them at Wally World) plate and 2 rods back in '89-90.
    Yep...Anterior sucks big time, but you live through it.
    Advice...DON'T get rid of your PCA too soon! IM morphine is a roller coaster.
    But after a few weeks surprisingly it's WAY better!!!
    Sounds Much better than what you've probably been through!
    No prayers, But TON of good thoughts heading your way and will keep you in my thoughts until you can call and interrupt my button making
    Come up with a good inlay button and I'll name it after you
    Funny, but after few days you'll be more worried about what you're putting your Lady through, and work extra hard PT so you can help her more.
    Take care of yourself and e-mail/phone anytime.
    LIKE the idea of a Desktop, but HECK with the wheelchair! Set it up next to the bed at home!!!!
    I'm sure your wife won't mind
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Prayers for sure Scott, had back surgery, shots, in pain for over 40 years, but nothing like you're going through - we pray for expert skill of the surgeon, strong screws and rods and speeding recovery...like Jack said, work on the creative side of things when you can - designing cut files. Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Praying for your speedy recovery Scott!

Mike

Thank You, Gentlemen!!!

Chuck, you called it. I got knocked off a ladder at work, landed on a valve wheel. Smashed my back to smithereens.

Funny you guys all mentioned designing cut files, I've been at it for quite awhile. Mostly just getting art ready, cleaning it all up.

Scott P, They're gonna yank all the disc material out of the front, then put in metal cages and graft bone material all up front, along with 8 screws, rods, and grafts in the back.
    That should make for quite a club when it's all healed up.
    I'll be in the shop the minute they say I can, but the recovery is a solid year. I'm going to see to it that this one works out. The last doctor was a bit cavalier with the "go get it, kid" and I've had nothing but problems since that surgery in '08.
    I'll admit that I never imagined I'd have to do this again, but I read that fusions are generally only good for 7-8 years.
    That explains why our $500,000 worth of gear fell apart.

I have also been through long, life threatening recoveries and multiple surgeries, six months in a hospital bed, etc. All physical aspects aside, I wish someone had prepared me for the mental aspects of dealing with a long term health issue. PTSD is not just for military veterans. What you will be going through is beyond what a human is normally able to cope with mentally and it will likely continue to affect you for the rest of your life.

I am not telling you this to scare you, just to prepare you. I thought I was going crazy at times and other times I WAS being driven crazy from infections affecting my mental function. It was a scary time for me and my family. Even after I had physically recovered as best I could, I was still an emotional wreck from the trauma.

After I had mostly recovered, I was having a follow up with my doctor and finally opened up to him about the heavy emotional scars I bore in addition to the physical ones. He immediately explained that PTSD was VERY common among folks with similar situations and it could be dealt with. I started crying right then. I was so relieved! I had no idea what was going on in my head or why. This was the most important diagnosis I had ever had. I now had knowledge and was able to start healing my head.

I used exercise, studying to understand PTSD, meditation, and new hobbies to acheive my mental recovery. It is something I will always carry with me, but I can put things onto perspective now without being emotionally overrun.

I hope the best for you. Take care of your brain and your body will follow through.