Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Default Windows 10

Has any one tried Windows 10 with this soft wear yet?
    2 wrongs don't make a right
    But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
    Kevin Matney
    Visit www.Matneymodels.com
    734 - 848 - 8195
    ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION UNDER GOD

I've been running VCarve (Partworks) and Aspire on it for a while now with no issues. I haven't tried (dared!) to use SB3 with it though.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Early report, I will eventually be trying Aspire etc... but have not yet. I brought one of my systems up to W10. So far, not so bad. It has an app store in it now, similar to the Apple and/or Android experience. I can see why they are giving W10 away "free" now. Done right... they'll make more money from the app store. I'm not completely opposed to the new model and GUI... I've been able to find everything so far (unlike the evil Windows 8) and it has an OK desktop feel to it. I'm still now sure how well it will fit into a corporate environment... I'd have to see Windows 10 Enterprise (I'm using W10 Pro) to see how they cope with the app store etc...

The Upgrade itself went very well, better than expected. So far everything works and nothing vanished, all my files are still present. I have a few more non-critical workstations around, like my media PC on the main TV etc... if those upgrade well I may upgrade my primary workstation before year end, but I'm not rushing to it.

I don't see the need to upgrade my W7 bot control PC, but I'm not seeing anything obvious that would prevent it from running on W10.

W10 seems to be much more "connected" than previous versions of Windows. By that I mean it seems more reliant on being online. The app store is integrated and when I logged on it wanted my local workstation password to combine my login with my Microsoft ID (my outlook.com login) and said next time I login to the PC, that is what I would use. I could have skipped that, but I wanted to see how it worked. Sure enough, next reboot it showed a list of accounts, the local accounts I didn't use were still present, but my local account "Robert" was missing and replaced with "Robert-h4bats..." my outlook/microsoft account and I had to use that password to login.

It scanned my network while upgrading, located my Canon Printer and installed drivers for it. However, it does not appear to have found my HP printer. I'm not fond of the network scanning, my primary workstation went all "red alert" on me when it started as I monitor for odd traffic and port scans etc...

I am unable to find Logoff or Lock. I have Sleep, Shutdown and Restart. Sleep does shut it down to power saving mode (so nothing is running, it is all suspended) and it does lock it for wake up. But how do I lock my workstation when I walk away but leave it running?

The boot up is actually a little faster than W7, by about 20 seconds, but I get a black screen for much of the boot process making me wonder if something has gone wrong. The feel is "faster" but I think that may be due to the more spartan graphics of the interface.

Open Questions (feel free to answer these if you know):
    What happens if/when I use my MS login on multiple workstations?
    Can I still login if not connected to the internet?
    If so, how long can I be offline and still login? i.e. what if I shut it down for 30 days and come back, can I login "offline"?
    Does it work with Aspire (Vcarve etc...) I'm pretty sure it will and I will test it and answer if no one beats me to it.
    Does it work with the ShopBot control software? (same disclaimer as above)
    How do I lock the workstation but leave everything running?

I'll post more as I learn, please do the same.

/RB

I also upgraded my CAD/CAM/Office desktop and a small notebook to Win10. Pretty easy upgrade, leaving all installed programs and settings in place. I ran my (non-shopbot) control software without problems but have also not trusted it enough to cut something with it.

One recommendation: Go through "Settings"/"Privacy" and turn off all the information sucking. Otherwise Microsoft will even track what you are writing (of course only to help you with product offers) or allow programs/apps to turn on the camera and mic without you knowing it. This operating system is one big piece of spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    I can see why they are giving W10 away "free" now. Done right... they'll make more money from the app store.

W10 seems to be much more "connected" than previous versions of Windows. By that I mean it seems more reliant on being online. The app store is integrated and when I logged on it wanted my local workstation password to combine my login with my Microsoft ID (my outlook.com login) and said next time I login to the PC, that is what I would use. I could have skipped that, but I wanted to see how it worked. Sure enough, next reboot it showed a list of accounts, the local accounts I didn't use were still present, but my local account "Robert" was missing and replaced with "Robert-h4bats..." my outlook/microsoft account and I had to use that password to login.

/RB
    The real money is in the data mining they will be doing, similar to Google. Read a few reports that they will be able to monitor every mouse click, every email, everything you do on your computer to be able to sell that data (anonymized supposedly) for targeted marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post

Open Questions (feel free to answer these if you know):
    What happens if/when I use my MS login on multiple workstations?
    Can I still login if not connected to the internet?
    If so, how long can I be offline and still login? i.e. what if I shut it down for 30 days and come back, can I login "offline"?
    Does it work with Aspire (Vcarve etc...) I'm pretty sure it will and I will test it and answer if no one beats me to it.
    Does it work with the ShopBot control software? (same disclaimer as above)
    How do I lock the workstation but leave everything running?

/RB
    Supposed to transfer common settings between multiple workstations when you use same MS login. I have two machines, one with Win 8 and one with Win 10 using same MS login, did notice some settings transferred when I setup Win 10.
    Yes, you should be able to login when not connected to internet, and should be able to do that indefinitely. I believe it is possible to actually create a local login account, that doesn't use MS login.
    I installed Aspire, ran a few times, didn't see any issues, but didn't use it in detail.
    Have not tried it w/ SB control software.
    Go to http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/...-computer.html for instructions on locking computer.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

I have as well installed windows 10 and can verify aspire 3.5 will work with it with no issues. I did run into some issues with some other programs that I use (Corel Draw & Flexi) that I did have to run in compatability mode (win 7). So far so good.
    Chadagmsigncompany@gmail.com

Vcarve, AutoCAD 2002, DesignCAD 3D Max 18, printers and everything else run well. Not a single problem in setup. My first impression is that it seems to use less resources and is much faster.

I have it on 2 computers, so far everything runs, even my "Plex" system which hosts all of my movies/music and I have accessed it through my Roku. It runs Aspire 8.0 fine, no issues and have been using it to design a number of items. You can still lock it using the "Windows/start" key and "L" or use "Ctrl+Shift+Del" and it will ask what you want to do, such as lock the system.

I will be trying the control program in a couple of weeks on my 15" HP Envy X2 Tablet to see if it will run with it.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

I haven't upgraded yet. I rarely do an upgrade when it's new, particularly when there are as many "changes" as 10 is supposed to have.
    My design computer is running 7 Pro. SB control computer is still on XP Pro. They had to drag me into 7 Pro and I only did when so many programs, including my current Artcam Pro, upgraded to the point where they wouldn't work with XP Pro any longer. I understand that 8 has issues and therefore never upgraded to that even though that was also a "free" upgrade on my main design computer.
    The interface on some programs I had used happily for years changed, IMHO, for the worse on versions that run on 7. Examples are Photoshop and Acrobat.
    So for those who have been running 8 I understand the desire to get away from it.
    But, for anyone who has upgraded from 7 to 10, can you quantify any possible improvements for you?