Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

There was much ado about the Start screen and removal of the Start button/menu in Windows 8 and the lame fix for it in 8.1, but it's supposed to be back and much improved in 10. While it is better, I can relate to the opinions found here. Especially the part about 'letting the internet leak all over the start menu'.

The Start Menu Should Be Sacred (But It’s Still a Disaster in Windows 10)

Scott

OK, continuing to Run Windows 10 here and upgraded my main workstation. I'll have to say, it's the first windows upgrade where things didn't feel backwards and all out of whack. I've been able to intuitively find things and it is faster on every pre-upgrade benchmark I ran, not by much, but faster. I'm running an 8 core system with 16GB RAM and a 1TB mirrored RAID.

So far, all programs work, Aspire 8, Corel X6, SnagIt Editor (runs better actually) etc... The only "major" program I have not tested yet is eCabinet Systems. Just lazy I guess.

I am used to the so called "start" menu. It is different and at first I didn't like it... but it's growing on me. I find if I just look around, I can find things and it does make sense.

I like the added native backup features, one reason I went ahead with the upgrade. You can maintain hourly backups of your files with history on a USB drive AND keep a system image on another drive that can be rotated to the safe etc... So far it seems to work well and it's the first time I think I may be able to use the native backup features and feel comfortable without going with a 3rd party solution.

Windows Defender is built in, it is Microsoft Security Essentials. I know some of you may not trust it, but from what I've learned about it I do. It is the same engine as the commercial corporate "Forefront" solution that Microsoft offers.

When running two screens, I get the start and task bar at the bottom of both screens. Only one system tray, but the task bar is duplicated. I actually like that.

So far, all I really don't like is all the carp that gets turned on. I feel like I spent an hour turning off stuff that sends information to Microsoft.

/RB

Harry,

You can disable the duplicate task bar if you want by right clicking on it / properties / Taskbar tab, last option checkbox is Multiple Displays, then uncheck "Show taskbar on all displays". I have 3 monitors on this system and really want the entire screen for Aspire and Outlook....

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

I use the "small" taskbar icons which shrinks it a bit and I'm on twin 24" monitors. Since I have to have a task bar on at least one monitor (I hate auto hide) the bottom of my right screen when I stretch Aspire across both is always open where the task bar would be anyway since I size it to fit the screen with the taskbar. It's great to be able to turn if off for those that don't want it, but I do kind of like it.

I LOVE the native virtual desktop functionality. I can have multiple virtual desktops open and easily switch between them. So I no longer have to minimize Aspire to switch to Corel or Outlook etc... and when I'm on one desktop I get a task bar specific to that environment, not every program that is open.

I also find "Godmode" reassuring as with it I can find anything I need if I don't want to have to search for it.
    Just create a folder somewhere and rename it to GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    Now when you open that folder, you get every control panel in one place.

/RB

I'm on my 19th upgrade now (family and friends!) and I've had no real issues with it all. As I've been running the preview for quite some time I was used to the interface but a few of my friends who were running 8.1 with Start8, ModernMix and direct boot to desktop (the setup I used for work) are bit a dissapointed about how little change there really is from that setup. Those who were running Windows 7 are more impressed with the ability to run the same style apps as they have on their mobile phones.

The easiest way to disable all the dial home stuff is to click on the custom install option when doing the upgrade. It's a few seconds work to turn those off that way. Mind you most people are sending far more information to Google already....
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Want to get rid of the numerous preinstalled apps that Microsoft thinks you want leaking the internet in all over your start menu, but you really don't want?

I'm kind of in the camp of not liking it much. Besides it being ugly, it still feels like the tale of two OS's to me. Kind of "Jekyll and Hyde". Instead of the "Start" screen taking over the whole thing, it now just resides in the corner. Start10, Classic Start, etc. should continue to be a popular download/add-on.
    Scott

For those that have run Windows since v3.1 and feel thrown under the proverbial bus, Classic Shell is a wonderful thing. It makes your Vista, Win7, 8, 8.1, 10 desktop, menus and control panel look like WinXP.

I've never had an issue with it EVER - and, it runs on a SB control computer beautifully. Many times I have setup new ShopBots for people and they ordered a new computer with an operating system way newer than they were familiar with. To ease training confusion, I would install Classic Shell...which they all loved/love. Check it out...

As for Win10, I am going to wait a while. Last machine I did I put 8.1 Pro on it and it seems to be as good as Win7. I've got her right where I want her...so upgrading is just violating two age-old adages: 1) If it ain't broke don't fix it and 2) There is no such thing as free. Everything has a price.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yes, Classic Shell, that's the one I meant, not Classic Start. Start8 or Start10 are both really good too and are only $5.
    Scott

All,

I just finally update my Mac with Windows 10 and everything works great!!

I must admit I never understand why the start menu is the thing most people on the 'net are complaning about. Personally I haven't used the start menu more than rarely since XP. I can get 30 programs/apps on the taskbar in W10 (not that I use more than 12) and that's a much more efficient place to run from with jumplists attached to each one so I don't have to hunt through each program to find the recent file list plus I can pin the files I use all the time.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/