Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    I must admit I never understand why the start menu is the thing most people on the 'net are complaning about.
    People have enough new things to learn and keep up with on a daily basis - why change things for the sake of changing things? Imagine for the heck of it, they decided to change around the keys on a piano...or a new table saw that had the adjustments for the fence and blade + power switch in a non-intuitive place. It's like that. It ain't right...especially for older people that were once fluent and efficient in the not too distant past.

There are more of these people than you think - which I encounter when I go to their shop to train them. Learning to use a new CNC is enough of a challenge - having a non-intuitive computer only adds a lot of confusion for them. These are not stupid people - they are quite intelligent and talented. They have better things to do than re-learn how to use Windows all over again.

Many have built up enough hand/eye coordination and muscle memory to rip through the classic Windows interface they've used for years only to be bewildered on a new OS as to how to even get started when they turn it on for the first time. It's not a 'people are lazy/stupid' situation. It's more of a 'ram it down your throat we don't care what you want' thing. 99% only use a computer for social media, games and other time wasters to justify having a computer. I am speaking about those who use a workstation to do actual work.

Personally, I don't want my workstation to look like a tablet. I've got real work to do that involves a keyboard and mouse. I don't picture myself using a tablet to do CAD or 3D work. Ever. (Cintiq sculpting maybe) Stop making me relearn what should be 2nd nature. If it's a tablet, then toggle the option for the interface to be suited for that. If a workstation, then toggle the option for classic view. It's all easily done with not much code. Why isn't this this an option?

Does that make sense?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I see very little difference desktop wise between XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 (boot into desktop mode) and Windows 10. Everything important is in standard places and the features added at each release (like snapping) build on the base of what is there and make it easier to use.

Windows 8 I can completely understand people not liking the out of the box experience with that but I really don't see that big a difference with the others. Looks like I'm in the minority yet again though.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I must admit I never understand why the start menu is the thing most people on the 'net are complaning about.
    This explains it very well:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224805/the-...in-windows-10/

Yes, Classic Shell, that's the one I meant, not Classic Start. Start8 or Start10 are both really good too and are only $5.
    "Start is Back" is also excellent and is only $2.

Adrian, hoping you have a sense of humor...

We're sending a technician (a mechanic in greasy coveralls, so you can recognize him) across the pond to put your steering wheel on the proper side (just the steering wheel). If you have a mother-in-law that relies on you for help and instruction, we'll upgrade hers for free.

Here's his photo ID

Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Importing photos and videos, what a PITA that was. If you've tried in Windows 10 you know it forces you to use Photos and will put all photos and videos into the Pictures folder without any tags.

When using an SD or other memory card. Here is how to tag your videos or photos and force it to put them where you want. You may need to play with the procedure a bit as I'm still working through this.

First, do nothing when you insert the card, close Photos or ignore the popup thing that slides out etc...
    Go to File Explorer, This PC and right click on the SD card drive, in my case it is drive E
    Select Open as Portable Device
    Now, in the menu bar on the LEFT, right click on the drive letter (again E for me)
    Select Import Pictures and Videos.
    You can now set the name and add tags (supposedly).
    Under More Options you can set the location to import, in my case I send videos to K:\Videos

This worked for me with the exception of my tags didn't appear.

You can also use the Review, organize and group items to import. If you have multiple events on a single card you may prefer to use that feature.

Hope that helped someone.

If someone finds or knows of a better way to do this, please post.

/RB

I had to get a new computer a few months ago as 64 bit programs were unstable… I miss my win 7, hated win 8.1 and am trying to understand all the nuances of win 10…
    So far, my only issues are with this forum!
    The “go advanced” feature won’t let me paste from word…
    SG

I don’t know of this helps harryball’s photo import issues… Under system/Default apps/photo viewer, you can choose other programs/apps to use.
    SG

Yep, found that too but that only controls what app opens a photo when you click on it. I couldn't find anything to set the default behavior of inserting a memory card beyond do nothing or open with photo viewer etc... no way to make it jump to import like I wanted.

Start menu, Settings, Devices, Autoplay (left hand side), Memory card, Import Photos and Videos.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Start menu, Settings, Devices, Autoplay (left hand side), Memory card, Import Photos and Videos.
    That only allows me to select "Import photos and videos (Photos)"
    That opens Photos - forces me to choose which drive to import from (stupid since I just put the card in, why should have to choose which drive from a list of drives when I have no idea what drive letter it may have assigned to the card I just inserted?)
    After that I get one option, import into the pictures folder, that's it, I can't choose where to put my videos.
    That is what I don't want to do.
    I want to put my videos into a videos folder on a separate drive.
    /RB