Thread: Eagle relief carvings

Default Eagle relief carvings

Most of these reliefs were done with a chainsaw I did draw the eagle head in cad and cut the outline So I can make a bunch of blanks and hand finish that way they all look different but a lot of time is saved with placement an reference.

Not to happy with the larger one with the single eagle too much paint I think

Wow Brian!! You are so talented.

Wow indeed! I don't know how I missed this post! Terrific stuff!

One quick thought though you might want to move the chainsaw part of the process outside the shop!

Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Russ I use electrics in the shop the bigger stuff gets the gas saws at my other shop The higher end electrics are nice the cheaper big box ones have too slow a chain speed. Nice to carve inside when its too hot or three feet of snow.

Brian,

I like your idea of using the CNC for roughing out your work. Might work well for me with my Sense scanner for rough scans that I can finish carve and give me something to keep my old 4x4 busy. Any recommendations on electrics you've used and liked? I'm hoping to start chainsaw carving again once my new shop is finished and would like to be able to work inside (Did I mention that I hate snow?). I've been looking at some of the chainsaw discs as well for finish work (King Arthur and others).

This was a 'few' years ago... (30+)

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikeacg; 09-12-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add pic

Mike,I use several electrics the makita 5012b is the fastest chain speed saw out that I know of at 5500 fpm but they have a manual oiler. I set up a solenoid valve wired to the trigger and pressurized a container of oil for an auto feed I run the line along the electric cord a quart of canola oil will last around 3 hours or so of carving.

I use canola oil in my saws it lubes the chain better than bar oil especially on solid carving bars and I do not get covered in petroleum

The other mod to the saw was putting a spline mount on the motor to run rim sprockets they are much smoother than the spur type and last much longer all my saws are setup with rim drive.

Makita makes the 3500 and 4000 which are nice saws with auto oil but the chain speed is 2500 fpm the Husqvarna brand electric is nice too I have one, have not used any stihl electrics.

I made a counterweight system last year after I severed 3 tendons in my left hand on glass and could not support the weight of the saw for a few months it worked so well I still use it.
    Along with being counterweighted the base rotates on a car rear hub bearing the movement is very smooth and natural, just the saw weighs 1 pound instead of 12.