Thread: Can't get spindle to start (initial setup)

Default Can't get spindle to start (initial setup)

So I am setting up my used 2005 PRT Alpha with 3HP Columbo spindle and everything works great, except I cant get the spindle to turn on. It's connected to a Delta VFD-B. The VFD turns on and does not prompt any errors and the spindle's fan turns on. Also the PC router on the second Z axis starts up no problem. Maybe some setting is incorrect in the VFD? Tbh I don't know where to start.

How are you trying to start the spindle?
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

When I got my first spindle, I had no clue how to start it. I found out that it just doesn't turn like a PC Router.

These are the steps that I go through to start the spindle in a part file.

1. Turn on ShopBot Controller
    2. Press Reset button on the Controller Box
    3. When you start the Control Software (SB3), the RPM window should open, if not you will not have automatic control of the spindle speed. There should be a usb connector for this.
    4. Be sure that you have created the cut file using a Post Processor that includes the Spindle. There will be code in the .sbp file that has a C6 (I believe I am right, it used to be SO,1,1 which I believe is now built into the C6 code.
    5. When you load a cut file to run, do you get a screen telling you to turn on the spindle via the Start button on the Controller Box.

If all of this is happening and your spindle still isn't starting, check of all of the power connections and that the VFW is turning on.
    I hope this helps.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Thank you for the replies!
    I am turning on the control box, hitting reset to turn on the vfd, opening SB3 (I do not have automatic control of the rpm) then turning on output channel 1 (I have tried other output channels) and hitting start on the control box. I've also tried the C6 command. It seems no matter what I do the vfd won't change to run, it only lights up "stop" and "fwd"

Does spindle run when you hit the"run" button on the VFD?
    I have a similar year Delta and it never has run via the software, but does turn on when hitting reset on control box.
    Some Deltas of older vintage don't function with speed control either. I have tried both versions from SB.

bleeth, it does not the run button on the vfd does nothing

Do you have the two conductor wire for starting it hooked up to VFD1 and in the proper terminals? Also, do you have the small jumper on the board set to 'Spindle' or 'Router'?

Manual here if you don't have it.
    Scott

Sounds like a high voltage issue somewhere. Check continuity at all connections.
    Also, ensure the connections are at the right points. The manual from Scott is for the Yasakawa. Unfortunately the Delta manual is not there, but if you don't have one SB should help you out.

image.jpgThank you all for the help! I finally figured it out. The white wire to the dcm port in the vfd was not making connection. All set now!