Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: phase 4 of shop mods... probably the last :)

Default phase 4 of shop mods... probably the last :)

So, I hope things have been going well for everyone here... for those in business, I am not sure how things have been elsewhere, but everyone I know here in the woodworking business have been swamped with work.

Ive been super busy with a great mix of cabinetry (currently working on a nice walnut kitchen, traditional face frame construction, lots of millwork, furniture etc) I have also been slowly breaking into the melamine market here - I have another job, a large walk in closet to be done this month - and look forward to possibly looking for another full timer soon.

Since I built my new shop in 2010/2011 - I have done some fairly major mod to the building and machinery each summer (2012, 2013 & last summer). This time, I am adding another room of 260 sq feet and adding a new Maggi system 23 construction boring machine to the arsenal. And, to compliment my edge bander purchase of last summer, I have a Cantek (Comatic) portable one arriving any day to be able to do curved shelving, gables, etc.

When I bought my Shopbot, I had a room, also about 260 feet extended onto my main shop to house the machine. I am basically doubling the size of that room and turning my CNC 90 degrees to give me both room to house the boring machine, and also more working space around my router.

I just spent the day today driving to pick up the SIP (mostly 3", metal clad) which I will be using for the walls, and ceiling VS the typical 2x6 wood frame, vap barrier, insulation and drywall. It should go up quickly. For those who remember, I have a 6000 sq ft shop, which is divided into roughly 3/5 as heated working space and 2/3 storage. The new room will be inside the main structure, I am just closing off for heating purposes and to separate it from the unheated storage side.

Construction starts tomorrow. Ill post pics then.

I am really looking forward to moving the CNC, to have more room to load, work on the ends and side for maintenance and cleaning, etc.

I have not had much time for posting lately... with our "new born" nearing one year already and my other son pushing 5, home time is at as much of a premium as work time.

Missed the AWFS this year - but am planning to be at the IWF next summer... with at least on of my guys. Never too early to plan, lol.

Ready for a new dog yet Andrew? One of our Border Collies discovered Skype tonight!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Default That is a big shop...

.....I have a 6000 sq ft shop, which is divided into roughly 3/5 as heated working space and 2/3 storage.

Let's see 3/5 is 60%... 2/3 is 66%... for a total of over 120%....

can you send out a floor plan ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I think he gotcha on that one Andrew LOL

Nah-Andy does everything over 100%

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    .....I have a 6000 sq ft shop, which is divided into roughly 3/5 as heated working space and 2/3 storage.

Let's see 3/5 is 60%... 2/3 is 66%... for a total of over 120%....

can you send out a floor plan ???
    Should be 2/5 as storage... roughly 3600 for working space and 2400 storage. But I also have a second level on my storage side.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_stief View Post
    I think he gotcha on that one Andrew LOL
    Well, I had three years of advanced mathematics in University... lol. But you would think I can add a few fractions to make 100%... nope!

Today we got the opening (15' wide by 8') existing wall, and all the 10' high 10' high walls put up. They just sit into a metal U channel screwed to the concrete, and there is a steel angle at each joint. Use spray foam and silicone sealant to seal the joints. Everything gets screwed together and is quite strong.

Will never warp, need paint, etc. Better insulating qualities than the standard 2x6 walls they use here, with pink insulation. Plus no drywall, vapour barrier etc.

All the metal to metal joints are "broken" by a sawcut, to prevent the exterior metal from being in direct contact with the interior panel. Its supposed to prevent sweating/moisture.

If I would have known about this stuff 5 years ago I'd have done my whole shop in it.

Monday I hope to get the ceiling on, everything finish sealed and pull the plastic off the panels. Then mount another row of 48" flourescent fixtures up and start moving some machinery in...

Andrew,
    Looks like screwed on angle on your exterior wall to support SIP ceiling? Same detail used as a ledger on your OSB wall?
    Was thinking because you're in Canada you'd be using an air to air heat exchanger already? I borrowed heavily from Saskatchewan energy studies when building this house and an exchanger was almost mandatory as house was so tight(wound up using their overstuffed 2X6 24OC then taped barrier and horizontal(plumbing/wiring case) 2x4's, polebarn nailed and overstuffed again design...love 11" Canadian designed walls)
    In second pic, those little mortise and tenon rectangles are driving me crazy
    Are they used in your SIPs project or where?
    Thanks for saying how panels are joined, I was wondering.

Going up quick!
    Congrats!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Andrew,
    Looks like screwed on angle on your exterior wall to support SIP ceiling? Same detail used as a ledger on your OSB wall?
    Was thinking because you're in Canada you'd be using an air to air heat exchanger already? I borrowed heavily from Saskatchewan energy studies when building this house and an exchanger was almost mandatory as house was so tight(wound up using their overstuffed 2X6 24OC then taped barrier and horizontal(plumbing/wiring case) 2x4's, polebarn nailed and overstuffed again design...love 11" Canadian designed walls)
    In second pic, those little mortise and tenon rectangles are driving me crazy
    Are they used in your SIPs project or where?
    Thanks for saying how panels are joined, I was wondering.

Going up quick!
    Congrats!
    scott
    Scott yes the osb wall will get a metal l channel to support the ceiling panels. The metal gets silicones while the panel to panel joints get spray foamed.

The small PCs on the sheet are parts for pencil boxes. I have thirty two kids coming from my sons daycare on Monday morning to tour the shop and get to 'play' with my hand planes, saws and drills. Plus we build these projects.

I had a group of 25 two weeks ago and two this Monday. It's a lot of work but this is the fourth year im doing this and it's very popular with the kids and their parents.

Never had anyone he hurt and they have a lot of fun! Lots of supervision plus my two guys and myself to help.