Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting gasket material

Default cutting gasket material

Can custom gaskets be cut with normal end mills? Perhaps the drag knife would be better, but only for the very thinnest gasket material.

I'm looking at something like this adhesive gasket sheet material.

John,
    You sure you want open cell?
    Check out Allstars cover gasket. When they were in Maine at Camp last fall I got some samples. Haven't cut yet, but did buy the Onsrud 30degree engraving with the small flat shown here. They finally settled on that bit after a lot of experimentation and liked it the best so they sell it.
    Recommend maybe buying from someone who ships first class as shipping KILLS from them as it's UPS only.(sorry George).
    http://allstaradhesives.com/cart/pro..._router_bit/44
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

A drag knife would be best for that. The only way to get clean cuts using a rotary tool is if you are running super high RPM - as in 60k+. They don't have a lot of torque, but something like a Turbo Carver or dental drill etc that run at 400k via air would be ideal for this. Clamp it on your Z and run it like a 2nd spindle. With a diamond bit, it will pretty much cut anything.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

John,

I've cut gasket material with good success by sandwiching it between 2 other substrates. In my case plexiglas with an 1/4" end mill.

Should clarify that only the inside holes and locations, the exterior was cut with a knife. In my case the outside wasn't that important.

I cut cork for 3 carbs on my boat.

Rik
    Last edited by Rick W; 08-09-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify my responce

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCoker View Post
    Can custom gaskets be cut with normal end mills? Perhaps the drag knife would be better, but only for the very thinnest gasket material.

I'm looking at something like this adhesive gasket sheet material.
    You can cut up to 1/4in thick material with our drag knife. Gaskets are no problem. We even have people cutting kevlar. Go to: www.donektools.com for details. You can even get it from the shopbot store: http://store.shopbottools.com/search...roduct&q=donek

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    John,
    You sure you want open cell?
    Check out Allstars cover gasket. When they were in Maine at Camp last fall I got some samples. Haven't cut yet, but did buy the Onsrud 30degree engraving with the small flat shown here. They finally settled on that bit after a lot of experimentation and liked it the best so they sell it.
    Recommend maybe buying from someone who ships first class as shipping KILLS from them as it's UPS only.(sorry George).
    http://allstaradhesives.com/cart/pro..._router_bit/44
    I used the Onsrud 30 degree bit for my full table (4x8) gasket to cut cut 248 coasters...worked great!
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

John

I am like the kid in the candy store as far as the gasket goes. I have cut our gasket with the engraving tool and got a pretty good edge (the cheaper way to go), and I also cut the gasket with the drag knife clean edges. nobody sees the fixture with the gasket on it it is the finished product that matters. What do you want to cut?

I assume the drag knives work without the spindle turning. Is there a way to leave the spindle off for a cut?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCoker View Post
    I assume the drag knives work without the spindle turning. Is there a way to leave the spindle off for a cut?
    If you watch this video, the beginning shows you how to alter a vectric post processor so that it does not turn on your spindle. You can also remove the
    SO,1,1
    manually from any file. If you go with sheetCAM to generate your tool paths, the post processor does not include the command to turn the spindle on.

When I use the drag knife or plotter pen I remove the so1,1 and also don't turn the VFD on