Thread: Sliding door hardware

Default Sliding door hardware

Does anyone know where i can find HEAVY DUTY sliding door hardware
    at reasonable prices?

Here's what i want to do. I have a 12 foot wide driveway and i just put up a 8 foot tall fence around my yard to keep the nosy neighbors out and i want to build a 8 foot tall by 12 wide gate that will slide along the backside of the house to be concealed when the gate is open and slide on rollers on a track from above to hold the weight similar to those old factory fire doors i know you've seen. Maybe you have a cheaper work around?
    I don't want to make a swinging gate because i'd need too much swinging space that i don't have plus in the winter i'd have to shovel that area to get it to open and i can't do that anymore.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Try Barn door track and rollers Cannon ball is pretty good and they are made for out door weather

Jack,
    I would try barn door hardware first like Jerry said, but just tossing this in there as I used their 200 pound track for my 7X8' pocket door openings in 3 places in house and can slide the 100+ pound doors with one hand in wheelchair after 20 yrs easily with no maintenance.
    Interior though, but personal experience and thought someone else might find useful. 400 pound seems their heaviest though
    http://www.johnsonhardware.com/sdindex.htm
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I used the cannon ball track and rollers on the shopbot room with about 1/8 inch of fall over 10feet and the door almost closes itself just a little nudge and it closes opens real easy and that is about a 150 LB door

Do you have a Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) nearby? They are also online.
    Shopbot Buddy BT48-12z alpha
    2', 4', 8' Powersticks
    Shopbot indexer
    Shopbot airdrill
    4hp HSD spindle
    Aspire 4.5

Scott my search had led me to the johnson site and what i saw, if i read it correctly was that it was going to cost between $200-$400. and that's more then i have invested in the fence! My buddy has a bandsaw mill and he cut up enough fenceboards for 60 feet of fence for $150.00.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Not sure about the layout of that gate but here what comes to mind bolting a 1" U-channel to the house and running something like 80mm skate wheels in the channel that are bolted to the gate with spacer bushings. However, that would require supporting the U-channel at the fence side and you would have that bar across the driveway. Maybe better to run track across the ground? Or maybe I just don't get what you want to do...

An airplane hanger style might be a better choice for maintenance and snow removal. Probably can't help on the cheap part.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I wish you were close to me I have a bunch of that sliding overhead door track and some rollers I would give you. I have been trying to find a good use for some of it but I have plenty and I am going to gain more shortly. My shops are pole buildings that had sliding doors and I have removed one completely and I am getting ready to change another to a garage type door because they are hard to seal in the winter and I try to keep my main shop heated in the winter.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    My shops are pole buildings that had sliding doors and I have removed one completely and I am getting ready to change another to a garage type door because they are hard to seal in the winter and I try to keep my main shop heated in the winter.
    Roger that...they are a real pain.

Electric fence is the cheapest and most effective way to keep animals in or out...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com