Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to engrave on a BRICK ?

Default Anyone know how to engrave on a BRICK ?

I had one of my wholesale customers hand me this brick and ask me if I can do this. It is another sign shop in my area who needs this service.

I don't know anything about engraving bricks, but would it be possible on the Bot? Of course need the correct masonry bit? would it be scratch engrave, or rotary?

If not how do they do it? Mask it and sandblast it? Waterjet? Laser?

If its something I can't do, but someone else here on the forum has the equipment that can, I would would send him your info.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yuppers I work part time at a granite monument company. We do bricks for vet memorials every week it seems. All are done by cutting a sticky back vinyl template and then sandblasting. After that the blast area is filled with a colored epoxy (usually white or black) right to the top to keep water from pooling and freezing. Only other option that might work is using a diamond dremmel.

PS: You need GOOD quality bricks. not the big-box store ones. Get them from a quarry that makes retaining wall block etc. Centers of your small letters like e will blast away if you use the cheap stuff.

I use a laser to etch bricks

Jerry, what type of laser and how much power?

Thank you all for your info so far.

Jerry do you have a few pics of what the laser etch bricks you do look like?

So if we sandblast, I am thinking of a Joe Crumley technique for blasting. If I remember correctly he cuts 1/4" thick PVC to block the sand instead of rubber mask through the plotter. (I hate cutting sandblast mask through my vinyl plotter even know its rated for it)

I called my customer about 30 min ago after reading these answers and turns out he has a small blast cabinet. I told him PERFECT, I think. I told him pull that thing out of the corner, get a few good quality bricks like the sample he supplied me and here is the plan:

-I am gonna cut him a 4"x8" sample blast template tomorrow out of 1/8" PVC. What I am thinking is coat the back of the PVC with thin double sided banner tape. When I cut out the letters I need to leave an onion skin on bottom of the PVC. It comes off the table ready to peal and stick.

-He is to coat his brick as he needs to so a layer of gerber paint mask will stick to it securely. He then applies paint mask.

-My CNC template is then stuck to the brick covered entirely with paint mask.

-Now take the brick to the blast cabinet and have some fun? The sand should break the onion skin of the PVC and the vinyl paint mask layer I am guessing?

I have never sandblasted myself, have always sent it out, and never tried to blast anything with small details. With an onsrud .125 up-spiral bit and a good vac hold down I think I can cut any detail they may want in a brick.

I am gonna cut the PVC template tomorrow and he is to get the bricks and paint mask them. Will post results.

What would be the best abrasive to blast with on a brick?

Dave

The etching are not very deep but they change color I will have to see if I can find one that I have done.

If you going to be doing more than dozen I would laser them.

Those beautifully v-carved commemorative bricks that you see in many places are done with diamond tools on a cnc made for stone cutting that spray water while cutting. A shop-bot just isn't made for it.

Too late to edit:
    And many are done in molds.