Thread: Another dreaded "Failed to import data" error message

Default Another dreaded "Failed to import data" error message

It seems like this happens almost every time someone tries to send me files that were drawn on some sort of cad software. They send dwg files which don't work. So I ask them for dxf files. They send dxf files and they don't work either. When I try to load the file into Aspire I get the message "failed to import data".

Usually these types of leads want a quote on cutting multiple parts, and after a few requests to send different file types (ai, eps, dwg, dxf) they give up on me and go with someone else who can open their files.

Do other Aspire users have these problems? I'm still using 2.5. If I upgrade to the latest version will these issues disappear? I will attach the file in question this time once I get permission from the customer.
    Carved and dimensional signs, Tolman Skiff kits, custom cnc cutting. www.SaltWaterWorkshop.com

The import routines have been upgraded a couple of times since 2.5 amongst many other worthwhile improvements.

I import DXF files several times a day from customers and the only time I have a problem is when they've sent a 3D file rather than a 2D one. PDF files used to be a problem as well as people were always putting bitmaps in them but V8 of Aspire now handles that.

You could download the trial of Aspire V8 and see if you can import the troublesome files into it so you'll know if upgrading will solve your issues.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I got a cheap CAD program that was EASY to understand and I download their files, and import into that program. Then I export to DXF for Aspire. If you are losing projects over it, it is worth $30 to get a CAD program one time.... Look up Design CAD on Ebay. V22 is $34 w free shipping.

http://www.progesoft.com

Also lookup dwg trueview

I do drafting for a living with Cad and 3D - the trueview has an awesome conversion utility and it's free

Also another one that's free and heavily used in engineering is Bentley view v8i

Powerful and should eliminate your issues with their files they send once you convert them