Thread: 1911 Grips

Default 1911 Grips

Bought my DeskTop to mechanize my 1911 (pistol) grip production. I'm either too stupid or just plain slow as I cannot get the cut patterns, forms working.

I've got to get into production or I have defeated the whole purpose of the purchase. I have Vcarve and Aspire.

Here's what I need. A firm or individual who, on a contract basis, can supply me with what need to produce product. I can supply samples, etc and am looking for somebody that can make it happen. Not looking for handouts.

No body is going to call you or anybody else stupid. We all have our individual strengths and weaknesses. I'd strongly suggest you take a week off and head to NC for their 2 day startup training session. In the long run learning how to create your own 3D cutting profiles will be a time and money saver. I'm in the market for a NEW 1911 so will check with you on a new set of grips when that happens.

Good luck!!!!

There may be a Shopbotter over in San Angelo still doing hand grips. Can't recall his name. I would search the site and see if you can find them. That person had a large PRT and had a whole series of programmed grips that he was selling... might be just the right person to link up with. Otherwise, there are a few around here on the forum who can be of assistance to you... ( I suck at 3D stuff or I would help out!)

Monty

Try this person... they may be the ones with the SB... http://www.gripus.com/

I have many customers who get their grips scanned and files setup. Contact me off-list for details if interested.

Once you do a set of grips - things get a LOT easier. No worries - this takes brains just like anything else worthwhile.

If it was so easy, everybody and their brother would be doing it & you wouldn't have a business...It isn't too hard, you just need a little push in the right direction.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yeah Monty, He's also on the Vectric Forum with a lot of other people doing 1911's
    http://forum.vectric.com/search.php?...=1911&start=30
    JF, Stick with it and it will pay back in Spades, but can be frustrating in the beginning. I HIGHLY recommend seeing if anybody is close to you and can help you get over the first bumps in the road! Maybe call Dianne at Shopbot and see if anybody on the Demo list is close to you?
    Also give Brady a call and check out what he offers(pretty incredible definition).
    Hang in there...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much the Forum(s) can help with specific problems once you get going.
    Good luck.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Here's a thread where I and another guy showed off the one's we did. There's a link for some base files too. If I can be of any help, just ask. Email in profile.
    Scott

I have seen many 1911 grips free floating around. You might want to download a few and just cut them. See how it works, learn from the file how the toolpaths are created and go in and modify the design and i think you will learn more from doing that rather then starting from scratch and not getting it right then getting flustered.
    I have learned a lot that way because someone has already done it right and you can see how they did it.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson