Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a Garage/Workshop

Default Building permits

You might be able to access recent building permits to see some structures that might be similar to what you need.

Most of those people would probably be happy to talk with you about your project.

Heated floor sounds like a good idea.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I agree with vertical walls and bolt together. I used pipe for my uprights and had to weld all purlins. That takes a lot of time. They make a thin sheet of insulation that seems to be pretty good. I was in the shop just this weekend and could not here the rain hitting the metal roof. This insulation goes on with tape just before the metal. it looks like bubble wrap with foil on each side. If it is not enough there is still room to blow in some more.

Can you put a basement in going down instead of up and keep the same height.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    Can you put a basement in going down instead of up and keep the same height.
    It's something to consider but would have to be a partial basement. The cost of a floor that would support my car or truck would be high I would think? Worth looking into tho.

I would never want a steel building or a concrete floor. The walls will act like a freezer wall in the winter and radiate the cold and the same with a concrete floor along with being harder to work on all day. You would want some type of spray insulation on a wood building that wouldn't absorb the cold and heat like metal.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Have you considered structural insulated panels? My SIP wall panels have 3 1/2" foam and the roof has 5 1/2". If you are going to need to frame interior walls, what's the advantage of the steel?