Thread: Rubber?

Default Rubber?

Has anyone tried to letter into rubber? something like logos on mud flaps?

HAHAHA ! Well, thats thinking outside the box for sure ! Be sure an let us know how it goes. Sorry, but it struck me kinda funny. I immediately had a visual of a mudflap wrapped around a broken bit and collet/router/spindle. Smellin like burnt rubber. Oh, by the way, this should have been posted in the message board. Not business board.

Jason,
    Sounds like it could be a business since in the past (use the search function) people have cut rubber block stamps with their machines...Also people were using their 'Bot to cut the rubber "molds" for embossing cement patterns on driveways.....

Jason,

Try it! I was given some "stall mat" material by my cousin and tried to route it. I found that I could not route deep or I got poor quality of cuts. My thought was to make door mats with contractors names and logos on them. I have not pushed forward on this business, but I do think it would work. Contractors would buy the mat to put at the doors as the job goes from framing to finish trim. Then the mat could be washed with a hose and left for the new home owners. The contractor could write it off as an advertising expense.

So there you go. Give it a try!!

21697.jpg

21698.jpg

As you can see, one side is smoother than the other and does a better job. These were done with a .25" end mill and I don't recall if it was an up or down cut. I think I would try a straight cut next time.

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

I cut part slots to customer supplied foam backed rubber, its a hard rubber .125 thickness then foam, alot like ac pipe insulation but in large sheet size.
    I use a Onsrud 56-082 2 flute straight. Had to slow the speed down considerable so the rubber wouldn't tear but once dialed in it cuts fine.

My brother taught me a trick on a previous contract job we were doing that required some lab work with glass vessels. They had rubber stoppers in the top that we had to put glass tubes through.

He FROZE the rubber stoppers, then drilled them like they were wood...Brilliant.

Otherwise, they would have grabbed the bit and spun out of control.

Just thinking, if you could fit a mat in a freezer, and cut it before it thawed...you might be able to do it.