Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BT48 to 4x8 ?

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this either, but what is the exact brand of aluminum extrusion that SB uses? I have looked at 80/20 and don't believe they are the same...maybe Bosch?
    I agree on some levels that bigger is better when buying a machine...but for me I only have a one car garage to work in now, and even though I wouldn't have a problem with a 4x8 cnc in my garage...the wife type unit would destroy me

Eric...
    ShopBot uses Bosch-Rexroth extrusions.
    Gary

Thanks Gary.

Michael

If you are interested in BT48 legs, I will be selling 4 buddy legs very soon, like new condition. Email me and let me know. gwerner at intelliviewuas.com

Greg

Maybe SB should put together an upgrade kit for the BT's that would include everything you would need to grow your BT. Just a thought.

Erik, I asked for a price on getting all the parts needed to upgrade my BT32 to a BT48 some time ago. Tech support responded that they use jigs to make sure everything is aligned but, nonetheless, they were going to forward my request for a quote to someone once I asked them to. I never heard back though. It would certainly be nice to know.

Maybe I'm way off here Gerald, but it would seem you could almost just get away with a new gantry center section, and 2 new 48" table cross members. Would it require much else?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I have a 4x8 PRS and wished I would have gotten the 5x8 or 5x10. I started making a product that uses material that comes in 54"x96" sheets. I now have to either cut 6" off the 96" side or cut the sheets in half making them 54"x48 this makes double the tool changes for each sheet or trying to hold the 6" strip. The material is expensive so throwing out the 6" strip is not an option no mater how you look at it, it now takes 2 setups and usually double tool paths and changing bits. I am not sure how much more the 5' wide table costs over the 4' but I wished I had it.

Mike

It seems no matter what size machine you have, you can always use something bigger. I guess I figured when I bought the BT48 that the BT32 was just too narrow since most of the things I like to do come from 4x8 sheet material. I had a 4x8 prt and just didn't have room for it so I had to let it go. I knew I would pine for a larger machine...but honestly I haven't found anything I couldn't do with a little muck mucking. I love my little bot. I do miss my big one too!

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

After posting this I got to thinking about it and I am having them send me a quote on what it would cost to widen the table to 5'. I will need a new gantry extrusion and all new cross braces. I wonder if my old parts would have any value to anyone to help offset the cost??

Mike