Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture Frames

Default Picture Frames

Hello I'm new to the forum and to Shopbot itself. I'm on the look out for some files to help me build decorative ornamental type picture frames. Im not sure where to look. I've found one or two good ones on Vector Art 3D website but not really the perfect design. Is there any other sites that I can purchase or that free picture frame building files?

Try ebay - look for 3d cnc models. I've not searched specifically for frames, but found a Russian vendor that has incredible models at a remarkably low price. I've downloaded capitals and heavily carved molding profiles from them that were top quality, and averaged under 10 dollars.

jeff

Thank You Jeff thats a really good tip. I didn't even think of eBay offering 3D CNC Models. I'm going to check this out.

Ok thanks to jTr I found a perfect frame 3d CNC Model I can use to build a picture frame off eBay. I have another question now. The frame requires the lumber thickness to be 1.81" How should I go about getting a board that thick? Would glue and clamping a few boards together be a good idea? Either plywood, MDF, or 2x4's. Whats the best way to get thicker material but still cost effective for the projects?

David (nevermore)…
    You could scale the Z independent of the X&Y to a material thickness you have, or glue up works also… If, after experimenting with less costly options, you could buy 8/4 lumber from several sources near you in Houston and Huntsville. If you need recommendations, let me know!
    SG

Just wondering if (since 3D is so time intensive) you might be better off buying 8/4 and planing/ripping/shaping(if needed) stock just wide enough for your design and then joining with either a CNC joint similar to some of these(not sure if there's a mitre joint in there)
    http://www.flexiblestream.org/projec...al-wood-joints
    Or maybe make yourself a custom "butterfly" for the corners if you're thinking high end? Or biscuits/splines for the corners.
    People seem to pay a lot more for solid wood, and it avoids glue lines/voids/ and unexpected(unsightly) lams that take away from the design and the picture.
    Depending on where you are, perhaps try Maple as it can take a lot of detail, doesn't break the bank, and a lot of different fairly easy ways to finish to increase contrasts using gel stains and such.
    Lots of good stuff on Vectric Forum
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vect...w=1280&bih=664
    And may give you some ideas?
    Never CNC'd a picture frame myself...so what do I know?
    Play with it and see if you can come up with something unique that's not made in China or sold on EBay. Maybe try Etsy?
    scott
    I see Steve beat me
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I'm about to do the same thing out of oak, using a custom frame from aspire that I will create - and then custom cut birch that I will laser engrave with art, then fit into the void inside the frame

I like the look of oak after it's been sealed with arm r seal

Good contrast

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    David (nevermore)…
    You could scale the Z independent of the X&Y to a material thickness you have, or glue up works also… If, after experimenting with less costly options, you could buy 8/4 lumber from several sources near you in Houston and Huntsville. If you need recommendations, let me know!
    SG
    Thank You Steve, I may try to glue up some boards to get a thick enough lumber to test this out. Im trying to get a frame to go with my wood carvings fro personalized Name signs. This one in the photo is one i found a a garage sale. Id love to be able to produce my own to go along with my carvings. IMG_0091.jpg I thought about trying to use 2x4's as well. That would be fairly close to the size I want.

I have a number of picture frame customers who have sent me frames to digitize. As long as they are not copyrighted, there is no problem scanning them and reproducing them on your machine.

The thing to note about those types of frames (the gold example in your pic) is that the highly detailed ornament is typically gesso or clay applied to a wood frame. Carving this level of detail is certainly possible, but it takes a very long time using very small bits. Since they get a premium for some of these more ornate frames, it may or may not be profitable to machine them depending on your market.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady you may be right. I may need to come up with a more simple frame design I can print out faster.