Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Issues

Default New Laptop Issues

Hello to all. Long time lurker, first time poster. And of course, my first post is a problem. My trusty old laptop has finally got to the point of no return. I have been dreading this day, because I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to bring on a new Windows 7 laptop. I am doing something wrong trying to get the new laptop and bot communicating. But I’m having the same problem with 2 laptops, so I’m hoping it’s an operator error (I know it is) and someone has had the same issue and can help me resolve it (I have been in communication with tech support and they have been great, but I wanted to throw this out in case I’ve not done a proper job of explaining my issue with support).

First – my new laptop is running Windows 7 Pro (32 bit). The other laptop I have tried is running windows 7 home (64 bit). My driver for my serial adapter is working fine and I am attempting the same version of SB3 that the old laptop is using (3.6.46). My machine is a PRT Alpha (7.2) that I bought new in 2004 and has been an awesome machine .

When I attempt to install the firmware using UI, I get the proper message box after turning on the control box and I also have the progress bar showing activity once the box has been turned on. The problem I get is when I try to go to live, I get an error stating a usb port problem.

The yellow box then tells me a communication error is occurring and check cables:

All cables are in place. I can switch to old laptop and everything is fine.

After loading firmware, if I open up SB3 in preview mode, this is what I get when I go to Help/About: The control box is not connected and no version of firmware number is available.

It’s as if the firmware installation is not taking (yes, I have turned UAC off).

Sorry to be so lengthy in my first post and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve always been blown away/inspired by seeing what everyone else is able to do and look forward to being able to show some of my work in the near future.

Thanks

Jon Creel

Have you tried the UT (tools) such as the USB View and Speed test? that would at least let you look at the ports

Can you change your new laptop to 64 bit and see if that will fix it

Im just guessing with you until someone else who has seen this chimes in
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Another thing, Is it A Dell, there have been Many reports of problems with Dells
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Tried with one 32 bit and one 64 bit. One is a Dell and one is a Toshiba. I've tried the tools, but the boy is not recognized. Ironically, I was able to get a borrowed laptop to connect a couple of years ago and it was a Dell.

Does your new laptops have both USB 1 and USB 2 ports? You may have better success with the USB1 port.

I'm about to reveal how tech un-savvy I am. In device manager, USB controllers, the first is a generic USB hub. Then I have 5 - ICH8 USB , then 2 that are labeled enhanced. I only have 4 USB places to plug in a USB cable. I know the enhanced are 2.0, but how do you know witch of the 4 is the 2.0? Again, this is out of my comfort zone. Thanks.

Jon,

If you use USBview.exe found in C:\Program Files (x86)\ShopBot\Diagnostics, you'll get a better idea of what you have for USB controllers and what is connected and at what speed (full or high). I believe that the controller is full speed, been a while since I dug into it and can't remember for sure. It will also state what port it's connected to and you can move the cable to another port and then refresh with F5 to see where it has moved to. If you can, you want it on an enhanced port.

You say that your old laptop was running the same version of SB3 as the new ones you art trying. If that's true, you don't need to update the firmware. You should just have to install SB3 on the new computer (don't have the USB cable plugged in yet) and when finished installing, plug in the cable and windows should recognize it (notification near the clock). At that point, you should be able to turn on the control box, hit reset, and then start the software.

You can also try running the speedtest.exe found in the same folder and see if it picks up a connection on a port and upon running the test, see how your transmission efficiency is rated. Do this without SB3 running.

You could also try a separate USB hub (powered or unpowered) to see if that helps.

If you have the old USB to serial adapter, those have been known to go bad from time to time also.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jcreel View Post
    I'm about to reveal how tech un-savvy I am. In device manager, USB controllers, the first is a generic USB hub. Then I have 5 - ICH8 USB , then 2 that are labeled enhanced. I only have 4 USB places to plug in a USB cable. I know the enhanced are 2.0, but how do you know witch of the 4 is the 2.0? Again, this is out of my comfort zone. Thanks.
    If it's a new laptop, it probably has USB 2 and USB 3 ports. They use the same connector, but USB 3 ports are blue, while USB 2 ports are black. I believe it is recommended to run off USB 2 port, not the USB 3 port.

Are you running the USB from Laptop to USB Hub and then to ShopBot, or straight from Laptop to Shopbot?

If running to HUB, try without the HUB (and make sure HUB has power to it.)

And just to be sure, you have turned power onto the ShopBot Only saying, cause one time, this guy I know, yeah, this guy I know was getting frustrated, cause nothing he did could get the computer to see his ShopBot, so I helped him out by reaching over and flipping the "on" button. Yeah, it was this guy I know. 'nuff said about that.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Daniel,

Been there; Done that.

Paul Z

tri4sale - Sorry to be so long in getting back. My USB ports are black, so i'm pretty sure they are 2.0. I have checked and the power is on to the control box (you and I must have the same friend ).

Has anyone used remote help from shopbot? I'm convinced it's something I'm doing wrong with the computer.