Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fanless MiniPC or Tablet to Run ShopBot?

So, I got my Qotom mini PC in the mail this evening from China. After many emails back and forth and dealing with language barrier, I decided to purchase their Mini PC. It is all solid state and is housed in a die-cast aluminum box with blades to disapate heat. I plugged in my various devices (monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply) and hit the on button... started counting and hit 10 when the Win7 desktop was fully up and running! The thing is small too... about 5x5x2-inches.

I wanted to thank everyone here for your comments, ideas, experience! I am going to put a few of them into action in short order... I like the one about placing the computer right in the control box and running necessary cables out to devices (HDMI & USB for hub). This should keep the puter in a safe dust free place while disappating any heat. It is also small enough it should mount easily in the box.

PS - Yes... the HP ThinClient I ordered did not work out. Turned out to be too much computer work just to get it into shape as a stand alone for the Bot. I am sending it back via Amazon and will get my moola back minus some shipping (wish I would have caught Brady's post above before I pulled the trigger on that one.. would have saved a week).

Thanks again all!

BTJ
    Bryan T Jones
    ShopBot PRTalpha 48x96
    RhinoCAD/CAM

Use a regular length USB cable in the box or you could have timing issues because there isn't the expected latency of a 10-12' USB cable. Been there done it...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Bryan,

Please let me know which model you got (there are many different models from this company on Amazon) and after you have tested it please post the results, I am extremely interested.

Thanks, Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0