Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Laser Engraver recommendation?

Default Anyone have a Laser Engraver recommendation?

I am trying to add another machine to our fleet of cool stuff. We currently run two shopbots in our manufacturing lab. I would like to possibly buy a machine that will do laser engraving/etching.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am kind of looking for a desktop size of item.

Thanks

I have a full spectrum

I chose it because it's the only laser out there with a removable bottom to engrave on anything too large to fit - door, table

So far so good with it

Had to replace the tube - was defective, they replaced it for free

Excellent tech support so far

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Davo; 09-14-2015 at 02:18 PM.

I have an LG 500 that I like

It all depends on your budget, and how handy you are at fixing stuff.
    First go here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forum.php and read, read, read on the engravers forum. You'll find all you ever needed to know about the three general categories of lasers.
    1st. Import direct from China (yes you can do it and you great prices but you are on your own after you get it set up and running).
    2nd. Chinese lasers with US companies selling them with support (Rabitt, Full spectrum etc). Fair prices with US support.
    3rd. The big three western manufactured equipment. Expensive, non glass tubes and world class support.

Just remember, With lasers (like CNCs) you get what you pay for.

I personally would stay FAR FAR away from Full Spectrum. We have had a Pro CO2 that we got about 4 years ago and the thing works part of the time. It would work better as a boat anchor if it was up to me. There tech support is horrible at fixing things not to mention I have never got a call back from the company. Since we purchased it, it has been nothing but problems and they won't do anything about it. I recently had a conference call with the Owner and VP over all the issue we had and more important the support you get. All they would say is sorry but your machine is 4 years old...nothing we can do to help you. Our machine was one of the first 20 they sold, now maybe the new ones are better but they won't stand by what they say. I must be spoiled with all the other companies that we deal with like Shopbot, Grizzly, etc. that has excellent customer service. As soon as we can we are selling the laser and going to a better one.

Knock on wood I'm doing ok so far with my FS laser - I did consider http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com

Rseeley - any opinion on those?

I've heard good things which is why I looked - still Chinese

take a look at the engravers forum on Sawmillcreek.org
    The main thing you'll find is post after post after post of "I have this problem with my XYZ laser", "How do I fix this?", etc message on mostly Chinese models including the full spectrum.
    The one I notice that doesn't get any problem questions is the Universal Laser System (ULS). And for the most part Epilog doesn't have too many problems. The main thing these two have
    in common is they are American made and much more expensive than the alternatives. I personally have a 14 year old ULS M-300 which is a work horse and gets used 7-9 hours per day without fail and have
    replace the cartridge once because I flat used it up. I did have a problem with a switch once but got fixed right away.

The main problem is the ULS is 4 times the cost of the Full Spectrum. Now that Rockler is carrying them I am considering one as a 2nd machine because Rockler is pretty good about
    getting involved with one of their vendors if things aren't taken care of by the tech support of their vendor. As long as it lasts a minimum of 2 years it will have paid for itself.
    hope that helps some.
    -nick
    "Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Knock on wood I'm doing ok so far with my FS laser - I did consider http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com

Rseeley - any opinion on those?

I've heard good things which is why I looked - still Chinese
    I don't have an opinion on them as I never looked into them. One thing that we have found out is when it comes to machines you usually get what you pay for, thus we are looking at Universal and Epilog now. I am noticing a lot of trophy companies going to Trotec lasers also, I don't know much about them but am hearing more companies using them.

If I can find a good price for the 12x20 in the other models I would like to stick to reputable and American

I know FS had tons of issues in the past - but so far this 5th gen I'm using has about 100+ hours on it and doing well... Aside from the tube issue they replaced for free since it was only a couple months old

The techs told me their previous models had many issues which is why they no longer carry them

If I was going to buy a Chinese laser I'd definitely go for a rabbit. Ray is a gent and helped me out tremendously even though I had a different machine. I had great fun with tech support from China so that's an issue if you aren't so inclined. The difference between a US machine and Chinese is Night & Cornflakes. I recently got a trotec and oh my god...