Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vacuum table design, thoughts?

Excellent example, Joe.

There is no 'one size fits everyone' - nor hold down that 'does it all'.

I came up with the BradyVac system of removable bleeder/grid for times where you have to clamp, screw or bolt something down - where a traditional vacuum table layup would prohibit this or be damaged.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I really appreciate the input. I'm going to get to building and see what's what!

My table has 4 zones 24x48. Plus I got piece of .75 plywood for attaching jigs and warped wood with screws. I have few pices of banner material for masking unused area to prevent vacuum loss. When I cut letters or multiple shapes I am using same banner strips to cover cut parts. So far did not loose anything yet.

Do you keep an extra sheet that you put on top of your vacuum tube for when you're screwing parts down? And if so... Do you use the vacuum to hold that sheet down or just clamps?

This is what I call a "carrier board". It is an accessory sheet of material (my choice is MDO plywood).

Vacuum holds it to the bed. Screws and clamps are attached to the top of it, the same as if you didn't have a vacuum system.

Keep it in a safe spot when you aren't using it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

That's a brilliant idea. Knowing that I was going to replace my bed I swiss cheesed the hell out of it shooting screws through it...

Do you surface plane down that "carrier board"? I would think that with MDO you couldn't really do that....

Yep, as Brady says.....a carrier board......that's what I use for screw down use when I'm cutting irregular pieces that are not flat bottom enough to suck down, especially with my weaker even pump.
    Also when cutting two sided and using pins to index. The "carrier" board is sucked down by the suction table and holds firm OK. This way I don't damage my bleeder deck.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Now that I also have a vacuum (universal) I often make my jigs and fixtures that hold solid wood pieces, from plywood or melamine, and just set them on the vac table to hold them in place.

Although I can (within minutes) remove my plenum and hold down parts via clamps on the T slot aluminum deck, it is even faster to leave it there and use the vac.

I have only lost a few parts from movement. Usually I just place scraps of melamine around the parts to be machined, to both help hold them in place and also close off the majority of the bleeder board that is uncovered.

Alright, I'm tweaking my design a little more. I think I've nearly got it....

Everything is designed to actual PVC pipe specs so I can generate a order and cut list from SketchUp. I ended up angling all the pipe to raise the main 3" suction pipe up high enough.

Last thing I need to do is fit a vacuum gauge and finish the box.

Vacuum Table5.jpgVacuum Table4.jpgVacuum Table3.jpgVacuum Table2.jpgVacuum Table.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Eric looks OK ..... Having a stationery table (as opposed to the Buddy) makes it much easier to design. I highly recommend a Regan blower.....especially biggest HP you can get. Make sure you seal the plenum zones well as you can get quite a bit of leakage especially with smaller sized pumps. I used 3 coats of Shellac.....worked very well.

Good luck....and let us know how you go...
    What system are you using with your Buddy would like some Ideas on vacuum system for my Buddy. I keep the 10 ft table on it all the time.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI