Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerstick Installation

Default Powerstick Installation

My 8' Powerstick just came via FedEx. It unpacked fine, but there seems to be a problem. I did sort of a dry run and set the guide blocks on the machine and there is not enough clearance for the aluminum table to go over the ball rollers. There are washers under the ball rollers, but it still looks like the table will hit the rollers with out them. I suppose you could take the rollers off every time, but the instructions don't say anything about that needing to happen. Anyone else have this problem?

I like my Powerstick, but it was kind of an ordeal making it work. I haven't thought about trying my aluminum table with the rollers. I just assumed they were compatible. I have no help, just my thoughts, joe

Erik- I had the same problem, I had to put thin washers on the v-roller bolts. Then I had to get the whole assembly to "run tight" again. It was a real nuisance.. but I got it done.

I hope the Buddy V2 systems dont have these growing pains.

D

How dissapointing. Its made to look like it all works nicely together. Just to clarify, Dana, you put washers between the aluminum table and the v-rollers to raise the table up? Thanks for the responses guys. I'm wondering if it might just be easier to take the rollers off and on ever time the Powerstick is installed.

Erik,

I put my 12' PowerStick on and don't plan to ever take it off so I guess I don't have that problem. Just wondering though: Do you need to put the table back on - what are the advantages to that strategy?

Mike

I think most of the time I'm going to be using the BT set up in the traditional way with the aluminum table. I have a 1 car garage I'm using for my shop so space is a concern. As of right now I'm just assuming that the Aluminum table is going to be most accurate in the Z direction for when I make boxes with slots and rabbits. If I can find a position in the garage that works for the BT without taking off the powerstick it could stay on...but I think it will just eat up too much space.

Erik- yes you understand correctly. The washers raise the Aluminum Slab (ALS) up to just over the top of the rollers.

Michael.. the reasons for putting the table back, is that most of the time I work with very small parts and the powersticks take a lot of room. Also the ALS mounted spoilboard is significantly more rigid than the powerstick mounted spoilboard. That results in a significant precision (perhaps a factor 4 or 5) improvement in Z.

I think it all depends on what you do with the machine. I use the 1/4x20 bolt grid on the ALS to mount fixtures so their location on the table is well known. That is another advantage of the ALS also.

D

Gotcha guys! I set my machine up by the door of a single and run it out the door when I need the added length. I don't do anything that requires the precision at this point but I will make a note of it. I have the old style table and powerstick so I can put it back on pretty quickly.
    Mike

40300.jpg

Your set up looks huge!

Erik,
    That is a 48" Buddy with the 12' foot PowerStick. I have cabinets under the conveyor inside the building but I want to replace them with mobile units so I have better access to that space and I also want to put a wood rack on the wall above it so that space doesn't go to waste either. It does take up a bunch of space in the shop but I am using it for things I used to do with other tools. I also have most of my other bench tools (chop saw, sander, grinder, etc.) on rolling bases so I can move them around. Once I get everything put away, it won't look so overwhelming. I just haven't had much time to get organized with all the other work I have to do. The sign on the table is 1" Komotex, 29" x 139" for a local sign company.