Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powerstick Installation

Do they make a "power door track" that will let you close the garage door ??

Good work tho...

Erik, I know what you are going through, as I said earlier installing this seemingly simple component was an ordeal.
    about the extra long cam handle bolt, after talking with someone at ShopBot, I re-threaded the bolt a good ways which will allow you to screw the retaining nut closer to the eye end (speaking from memory here) which allowed me to slide the springs down closer to the rear which will engage the motor correctly. By the way, I found that the pinion gear will have to be slid out a good .25" on the motor shaft to allow engagement with the rack under the PowerStick. I don't really like it, but was told by ShopBot was ok. The reason for this is that the motor bracket will be too close to the PowerStick and rub. Keep us posted, It will come together, but again, not easily, joe

Hey Joe,
    Thanks for all the support. I just left the retaining nut off and was able to get the eye bolt to work. A couple new issues...man this thing makes me feel like I'm being a big cry baby...but anyway...The bolts for the mechanical stop on the powerstick that are supposed to clear the mechanical stop/prox switch holder still hit the mechanical stop when the cam handle is up...I already have too much backlash between the powerstick and the pinion...going any looser to get more travel out of the cam handle will only result in too much slop. Now, as far as position of the pinion on the gear rack...I noticed in some places I was getting a perfect alignment (no over hanging pinion off the rack) and in other places, the pinion was way out of wack. At first I thought maybe the rack was put on in a wavy fashion, but after inspecting it...all seemed to be (not perfect) pretty good. I took the Powerstick off and set it up on saw horses and gave it the old...eye ball for straightness. It looked like a 2x4 from the Home Depot, wavy as hell with a nice bow off to one side. Ugg. Not sure...but I might be done with this thing. In fairness Shopbot has been there for support and Ted Hall has even sent me a few emails. I will have to get in contact with them again tomorrow.

Erik,

That definitely sounds like a damaged stick. Mine went on with no issues. If it left the factory in one piece, it got a rough ride up to your place. Either way, it is not a good situation. I'm sure they will take care of you ASAP!

Erik, I agree with Michael, that stick should be straight. I had problems with the pinion and cam handle, but the stick it self was always true. I beleive I would send it back and get a good one. Good luck, joe

Thanks guys.

Erik- My sticks (both 4' and 8') are very straight to sight along. It sounds like yours got damaged in shipment. If its broke.. nothing wrong with wanting to get it put right!

When you get a straight power stick I suspect you will be MUCH happier!

You brought up a really big sore spot with me tho- the lumber supplied by the big orange. Why do they insist on selling CRoP?

And another thing.. why are they allowed to sell metric lumber using "english" dimensions? What they sell as 3/4 or 1/2 inch is NEVER correct, it is some nearby metric value. The width and length are 4' and 8', so why is the thickness METRIC?

I'm sure there is a bureaucrat in the government somewhere whose job it is to require measurements be what they say they are. Is that the job of the National Conference on Weights and Measures? or is it National Institute of Standards and Technology? both, or some other?

I want lumber with the advertised dimensions. Is that too much to ask?

Off the soap box-

D

Dana,

Did you make that soap box on your bot?

Mike

Not sure I want to keep the PS at this point...I love the idea and I spent the extra for the 48" with the idea of upgrading with a PS later on...but at this point...its just one more head ache I don't need. Between my business, my new house and renovations...I just don't have the time to go through all this again.

Dana...
    This is ONE of the reasons I distain the plywood industry of late. (actually for longer than that!) 12mm plywood = .4742" (94.9% of .5") 5% savings on raw materials or a free sheet in every 20. or 21,000 sheets out of the same logs that used to do 20,000. Must be a quality issue, couldnt be linked to profits?

Gary