Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookie cutters

Default Cookie cutters

We can’t make cookies fast enough… Cookies are what we call cross cut log slices. Folks use cookies for any number of decorative purposes, brides buy them 30 and more at a time! Small “coaster” size ones sell for $1 to $3 each, candle holders $5 to $10 each and cake platter sized ones $25 to $50 each. We also make them into lazy Susans, signs and even table sized ones.
    The smaller ones aren’t lucrative enough to spend much time on, so I was trying to figureout a way to improve throughput… My first idea was to make a holder to simplify re-facing the rough chainsaw cut using the bandsaw. My holder used embedded bandsaw blade pieces to grip the cookie and prevent the part from “spinning”and causing all kinds of havoc. This holder/jig made very nice looking parts upto 10” or 11” but still not fast enough. Also, the chainsaw cut with trim cuts gave us about 50% sawdust!
    The version2 jig eliminates the chainsaw cuts… this “carriage” holds the entire log! Four foot and even longer tree/limb sections are accurately and reliably held, making quick work of an order with comparatively little waste. The carriage/jig is guided by the bandsaw miter gage slot and rolls on a couple of lawnmower wheels.
    My jigs were modeled in SketchUp, imported into V-Carve Pro and cut from Baltic birch on the Bot…
    Cookies over 10 or 11 inches in diameter still have to be surfaced on the Bot and their price reflects this! If demand continues, we may have to look into a larger capacity bandsaw…
    SG

Attached Images Attached Images

So then do you kiln dry them yourself?

Do you have any problem with them cracking? or warping?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

This saw design (lay down band saw) might be a good option:

I saw one at a steel shop that is programmable. It automatically feeds the material and continually cuts and feeds unattended.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rb99; 09-18-2015 at 02:27 AM.

We made a solar kiln for drying our slabs of wood… I’ll tell more about this later, but the cookies never see it! We get our logs from multiple sources, one is harvesting standing dead trees another is a tree service. The limbs we select aren’t fresh green cut… they’ve been sitting in the Texas heat awhile. Even then, we have to select limbs with tight bark… it’s not unheard of for us to glue or staple loose bark! Cracks and splits add character and desirability, the log the cookies in the last photo were cut from, had a lot of spalting and sponginess in the center, the bride is very pleased with them!
    SG

rb99…
    Interesting! We recently bought a large Cyprus stump and are having a mill slab it for us. We’re looking at a ridiculously big cedar bole today… perhaps a chain or bandmill is in our future!
    SG

Why does a bride want to give away spongy centered wood slices?

Ha! I agree…actually they use them for “green” decoration. Here’s some ideas…

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+cake+stand&safe=off&biw=999&bi h=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVC hMIg8CwtqSAyAIVkwmSCh2pjwT-

The batch in my photo above will each have a mason jar with a candle and fall foliage around it. I don’t know if any lucky guests will get to take one home!

More ideas!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+decorations&safe=off&biw=999&b ih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoV ChMI8bDkpaaAyAIVU3ySCh0oog9W#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=t ree+slice+centerpieces

SG

Jeez Steve....at those prices I am willing to burn oil and slice up the firewood cookies!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Nice Steve!
    Thanks for pic of that bandsaw blade jig/holder, may use idea
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine