Thread: Seriously Crazy Behavior by Bot

Default Seriously Crazy Behavior by Bot

I have carved three signs today before going to the fourth, all were just fine but, after I mounted the board to cut the 4th and watched for a few minutes to make sure all was good I had to go to the back of my property when I heard metal on metal grinding from...you guessed it...the bot!

I hit the emergency stop and started to figure out what went wrong. The pocket started at the bottom of the plaque and was going up (climb cut) when about half way up it lost its direction and indexed itself over about 7" to the right, it had shifted one of the words (North) to an area between (Oak Park) and (Avenue). I have attached the actual SB cutting file and the PW file. I also ran a simulation of the cut from the SB file and all looks good.

No I do not have the computer set up for the internet, I run Windows 7 Professional, and have been pretty much free of bugs since my last post . I would sure appreciate any thoughts on the cause of this...OH and I stopped using the grounded dust collector it's just easier to vaccum up after the job!

Thanks, Bill4941 North Oak Park Avenue.jpg
    Bill Patterson
    OldGoatSigns, LLC
    Fredericksburg, Great state of TEXAS
    SB Standard 48 x 96
    2.2 hp spindle
    Since May 2012

Any time I have any issue it seems that its always due to static charge. Even without the dust collector I have had a few issue where the longer run time projects will seem to build up static. I have a dedicated earth ground to my frame that does seem to help, especially on the dry air days. Just my 2 cents worth...

Metal on metal? Was that actually it or was it the grinding noise of a motor losing steps?
    Monitor closely, but it could also be that once in a very blue moon when some electrical mini-surge or fractional second loss (or static burst as Rob says) just messes up your day.
    It may even have been that one of the x motors didn't come on when you cranked up.

Of course, check for square before moving on. Heavy loss of steps in a motor can easily throw the gantry out.

Have you checked your brushes in the router?