Thread: Buddy and your imagination - the possibilities are endless

WoodWorking Design and Supplies, Longwoood FL

Default Buddy and your imagination - the possibilities are endless

I built this domino table out of maple using my Buddy48. I did some carving as you can see using Aspire S/W. I have not begun to tap the potentials of this machine yet. I also did some raised panels doors out of maple. I jointed 3"X3/4 solid maple and then glued them up to get the panels.

It was easy to route the panels and do the rails and stiles compared to using my old router table. Try routing a door that is 18W"X22"H on a table that is only 12"D. Also coping the 2"W rail edges was always a challenge. I can't tell you how many times I put a nick on the edge and ruined my piece and I hate the pain in my shoulders when I got some kickback now and then.

Now, I just put the pieces on my Buddy table, clamp it down and run it using the SK command because I have total control of the routing process. I will admit it takes a little longer but the "quality of cut" is so superior and it is safer. I also sit down on a chair, prop my feet up and do this. Can't get any easier than that!

Check out the pixs. You can also see some more of my work at www.woodwds.com and www.domino2table.com

45892.jpg

45893.jpg

This was my 3rd attempt to do a photo carving on a piece of maple. It was easy once I got the hang of it.

45894.jpg

Very nice work Harold

Great work Harold. I too am amazed at how much my Bot can do. I am only limited by my imagination. I never thought about milling my cabinet doors on my bot. can you tell me a little more about how you do it, and what to look out for? Thanks in advance.

Harold Singh... Very nice couple and very nice work...

Hey Harold
    Nice work.
    I got my shopbot couple weeks ago and I am amazed with everything that can be done with it.
    Perhaps, I was just trying to cut my sons picture another day, but I didnt get any success. Could you give me some help?
    I do not have Aspire software.
    Thank you

Renato,

Do you have the photo vcarve software? You need to have that to do pictures. I think it is about $150.00 from Vectric. go to wwww.vectric.com. the PartWorks 2d and 3D will not do this.

Michael, here is the story with this process. First, it is slow though the quality is great. If you are running a shop and time is valuable, this would not be the preferred method. In the time it takes to setup, check and run on the BOT, you could probably have done several pieces on your table router.

There is also a problem I discovered when using the sk command for too long. There seems to be a communications link problem from the computer to the Bot. Most times I had to reboot the BOT computer. I guess it was not meant to be used like that.

Having said that. I am going to look at designing the cuts on Aspire using the bits designed for rails and stiles. I am not sure because these are two cutter profiles on one bit so I would have to do some improvising. Probably use the top cutter bit profile on Aspire and alllow allowances for the 2nd bit. In any case I had to put another 3/4" board to raise my pieces so the router tip would not hit the table. The door panel is a single cutter so that is no problem. Clamping down a 12X15 door panel is a problem if you don't have a vaccum. In my case I did two side then moved the clamps.

I still have some ways to do to get this process automated using Asipe on the BOT.

Anyway it was a fun thing but I am running a business so time is valuable.

45943.jpg

45944.jpg