Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC with LED lights

Default PVC with LED lights

A staple in the sign industry channel letters. I've made several attempts to enter this field but didn't enjoy the process. When I first came up with the idea of using LED's there was a concern about ut un-even light pattern. The first samples made were met with wild excitement from the customers. Looking back, who wants flat even lighting any way.

One of the side benefits of this sign method is ease of installation. That's because the background panel, which is nothing more than an outline of the lettering itself is the support for the whole sign. It goes up by bolting direct. Sometimes I have a two or three inch outline. The larger the outline the more reflective lighting will show. There are so many options available it's hard to imagine. For example, there could be several levels instead of two.
    shown

The red & white sample was done using red vinyl. This left the sides of the letters, returns, their natural color.

I'm using .75" and 1" PVC. The glue is PVC Gorilla. It's nothing like regular Gorilla Glue that won't work on PVC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is beyond Cool!!! Your creativity and skill should serve you well. I only wish I had a bit of that ability. OH well if anybody could do it it wouldn't pay much for the effort. GREAT WORK!!!!

Mav: Joe's skills as an artist and signmaker have served him well for over 50 years.
    He is one of the most recognized craftsmen in the business and is known around the world.
    We are quite fortunate that he shares his knowledge here. I just wish he would write that damned book already!

Great looking job and effect Joe. I'd love to see a back side pic of those front pieces to see the mounting of the LED units.

John,

I'll post a photo of the back of the letter but there isn't much to it. Each little LED comes with a double stick pad. That keeps them in place. This kind of illuminated letter are too simple to believe. Excellent money since channel letters are expensive and this can be done by anyone.

Joe

One of the considerations you will need to address is maintenance. Although I've not had any failures and LED's last a long time, it's still good to plan ahead. By placing the lights on the back of the letter, access is strait forward if the letters are attached with screws.

Joe

Thanks once again for sharing Joe. Can you please tell me where your buying your led kits from? Also are you painting the background or is it straight up PVC
    Last edited by kurt_rose; 09-30-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Kurt,

We like the "Mini's" made by ZLight Technology. They come from Reece Sign Supply out of Tulsa and cost around $100 a tray for 100 units. The transformer is approx. $60.

Although PVC will accept almost any kind of paint I leave it natural. Over ten years the white surface gets a slight beige color which I like.

Joe

Default pricing lights

Joe,

How do you price the backlighting? The M (or W?) shown has about 46 lights on it plus a transformer somewhere ...

wholesale cost per 100 is ? Bid price?

if one light goes out do you lose the entire string ? thanks
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Curtiss,

The neat thing about these lights is if one fails the rest of the string keeps on burning. That way you can tell where the problem is.

Pricing, Dang it, I have know idea what the proper amount is. Here's what I do on all my projects. Estimate the material costs and the amount of time to complete the work. For example on the Boomerang sign it priced out at $4,100. We've made four of these and the time and materials are about the same. Makes no difference how many times we do it. The DeGraffs sign was $7,800 without installation.