Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally all is coming together

Default Finally all is coming together

I had to tell someone so I picked you guys/gals. It may sound like I’m bragging, maybe I am a bit. After years of wishing and over a year of planning the workshop and equipment of my dreams is being ordered this week.

Desktop with most of the whistles and bells
    6” jointer
    17” drill press
    Jet 22-44 drum sander
    1-1/2HP shaper
    Leigh dovetail Kit
    1550 CFM dust collector
    Oscillating spindle sander
    13” Planer
    Scroll Saw
    Band Saw
    Belt/disk grinder
    Many other smaller tools and expendables as well.

Now all of a sudden I’m scared to death. So much invested, so much to learn. Esp with the ShopBot; Still have all the electrical and dust collection to install. At almost 68 years old I keep telling myself I deserve this but we on fixed incomes should be a bit more conservative too I think. Well wish me lick I’m sure I’ll need a bit of that.

Congratulations!
    At 66 I've had a woodshop most of my life, but am getting ready to retire from this one and set up another after we move to our "final" house.
    I'm sure it will work out for you. If the intent is supplemental income make sure your marketing plan is just as complete as your shop plan.
    I am curious:
    Small cnc, wide sander, and no table saw. What are you planning on producing, if it isn't top secret.
    Wide sander just for surface sanding wide glue-ups, or just liked the jet open ended unit instead of a closed one?

Quote Originally Posted by maverickx50 View Post
    Now all of a sudden I’m scared to death. So much invested, so much to learn. Esp with the ShopBot; Still have all the electrical and dust collection to install. At almost 68 years old I keep telling myself I deserve this but we on fixed incomes should be a bit more conservative too I think.
    Congratulations. I always like to take a step back and express gratitude when I hit a milepost (or find myself complaining), while fulfilling the dream and vision I have for my life. So many people will never get the same opportunity you have cultivated for yourself. Being thankful centers you and gets your feet on solid ground.

"First thing's first." - Just take your time, enjoy the ride (both setting up shop and the larger proverbial ride) and most importantly, try not to allow your brain to torture you by taking you into a 'bad neighborhood' of thought. Don't second guess yourself. Ever. Just pace yourself and do one thing at a time. You have a pretty good idea what you would like to accomplish, so go for it and don't allow yourself to get stopped.

As for the ShopBot aspect of things...Your focus should be on learning the software and getting good at drawing before the machine arrives. The only practical way to do this is to set aside some time EVERY day (30min...or more..turn off the boob tube) and play around. This will shorten the learning curve. The Vectric videos are excellent. Watch them, try it for yourself until you get it. Of course, you have this forum to bounce ideas off of & to give you a little push in the right direction. With so many people using their tool in so many different ways, you are sure to get the information you need...but make sure you do your homework first.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Already had a good table saw and a good miter saw. Actually an existing insurance replacement value in tools of about 30K but all smaller stuff. nailers. compressor, etc etc. And yes over 30 pages of a business plan that the bank likes. I will be adding a RV toy-hauler trailer to take the Bot and other products/equipment to festivals and the like starting next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Congratulations. I always like to take a step back and express gratitude when I hit a milepost (or find myself complaining), while fulfilling the dream and vision I have for my life. So many people will never get the same opportunity you have cultivated for yourself. Being thankful centers you and gets your feet on solid ground.

"First thing's first." - Just take your time, enjoy the ride (both setting up shop and the larger proverbial ride) and most importantly, try not to allow your brain to torture you by taking you into a 'bad neighborhood' of thought. Don't second guess yourself. Ever. Just pace yourself and do one thing at a time. You have a pretty good idea what you would like to accomplish, so go for it and don't allow yourself to get stopped.

As for the ShopBot aspect of things...Your focus should be on learning the software and getting good at drawing before the machine arrives. The only practical way to do this is to set aside some time EVERY day (30min...or more..turn off the boob tube) and play around. This will shorten the learning curve. The Vectric videos are excellent. Watch them, try it for yourself until you get it. Of course, you have this forum to bounce ideas off of & to give you a little push in the right direction. With so many people using their tool in so many different ways, you are sure to get the information you need...but make sure you do your homework first.

-B
    My background is as a mechanical design engineer. CAD and CAM design and programming. etc. My biggest weakness (I think) will be in the creative (make it pretty) side of things.

Sounds great Maverick. Buy some inexpensive bits and run everything you can think of with foam insulation. It won't bust your bits (normally). The mistakes you make will teach you more than the successes. Then buy the best bits you can afford and create your products. Stop and say hi if you get to the Tomahawk area.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
    Sounds great Maverick. Buy some inexpensive bits and run everything you can think of with foam insulation. It won't bust your bits (normally). The mistakes you make will teach you more than the successes. Then buy the best bits you can afford and create your products. Stop and say hi if you get to the Tomahawk area.
    Your personal information states you do not yet have a ShopBot? Needs updating? Always nice to get to know neighbors with the same interests.

Kudos Maverick, you'll do just fine! I'm not too far from you either, if you need a hand with anything, or just need to hash something over, feel free to contact me. ;-)
    Scott

Maverick,
    Did you look into having it shipped in their MakerCrate? It's the same exact one they use to go to trade show and makes an excellent rollable workstand at craft fairs.
    We have 2 and one of the best investments as it costs nothing extra to ship if machine is shipped in it.
    Not sure how much they're going for nowadays, but Bill Young does an exceptional job on them and they stain up NICE
    Think they use Radiata Pine because of the thicker veneer.
    Excellent choice if you're going on the road, couple minutes with a hex key drill driver and lift the whole top off. Has 2removeable front and back panels to store computer, packing, sales stuff etc. and 4 bolts hold panel to lock valuable at night inside easily.
    Just a thought...maybe call Dianne?
    Congrats....and watch every vid and work along with the Vectric tutorials to learn a lot of drawing shortcuts(I've watched most 2-3 times and still pick up new stuff).
    One thing at a time and you'll do fine.
    We've all been there
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Wishing you the best starting out. I am in the close neighborhood if you ever need anything. I have been lurking around here for almost a year and learned plenty. If you ever want to discuss shop bot or see one in action, you are welcome to stop by.
    wayne