Thread: Positioning vectors from multiple drawingsprecisely together

Threaded View

Default Positioning vectors from multiple drawingsprecisely together

I have been working on taking some vectors and putting them into layers in a CAD program, so that I would know that they were precisely on top of one another. The reason is that they are being made from the same material and I need to make end cuts on them.

So I figured I would create a file with all the layers I needed ( 3 layers tonight- 5 more tomorrow) to do about 48 pieces or 96 angled cuts.

To position them, it was my intent to create a pocket to set the material into and then it would always register at the "0" end of the table, inside the pocket.

My problem: I put all the parts into a single CAD drawing in different layers, and exported it to a DXF. When I open in Aspire (4.5) I can only see 2 layers. I go to the "layers" tab... no joy... only the outline of the pocket and the first or second layer ( I forget which one). There is obviously something I am missing here- so can anyone recall a scenario where you were trying to import a dxf and w layers and it would not show the additional layers? If so, is there a way to address this?

Thanks!

Monty

( yes. I am going to import it as a DWG and see if it changes anything. Then I am going looking for a tutorial on layers- specifically the importing of layers.... but any assistance you guys can bring to this, would be appreciated. One other way I can think of to do this is to start an Aspire file and then load layers into it by importing them and trying to ASSIGN each bit to a layer and then moving it into place... this was done in CAD because I had better controls ( more visible and easily quantifiable) on placement. But maybe it is something that has to be done in aspire. I have tried fiddling with layers once or twice before and did not get where I wanted to go, unfortunately.) TIA.
    Last edited by MogulTx; 09-28-2015 at 10:31 PM.