Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: latest

needle files and a sanding mop. i use a fine grit sanding mop in between coats. I have one of those tiny toy sanders, but it really does not do that good of a job. you would think that someone would offer for sale a mini sander that would work. Speaking of needle files they range from 5 bucks to 40. who makes a good sharp file?

beautiful work

still pretty much the same. i do have a corner sander that helps since it has a point. i use a sanding mop with 250 grit. now it may smooth it a little but the needle files do the most work. then the arm a seal coating smooths it out a little.

Tyler Texas the land of the Tyler Rose and thanks.

These are nice, but price reflects quality of the tool: Fladder

I've often thought of making up my own version using stuff from Stockroom Supply ...just haven't gotten to it yet. I absolutely hate hand sanding...which is why I try to make the machine get it as tight as possible.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

i hate sanding as well, but needle files are a must. i wear a pair of way to strong reading glasses with a bright light behind me which helps to see the small fuzzies.

Rick,
    Eurotools is worth checking out.
    http://eurotool.com/products/12PC_NE...0-2524-80.html
    Been using a set I bought in Tucson 15 yrs ago for soft stones and they're very tired, but I'd buy them again.
    Set of smooth mini-rifflers I bought at same time from them has been discontinued, but found a set I might buy to replace mine now that I'm using them to clean up Desktop work in wood.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/07T...-file-set.aspx
    Also, Just bought a 320 and 600G of these;
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/154...it-maroon.aspx
    They arrived yesterday and I chucked the 600G into the Gesswein(Foredom) at about 9K and lightly loaded it with our Linseed/Beeswax"butter".
    No good for 60degree VBit button designs as it didn't get all the way in, BUT tried on a 3D Celtic and a V3M Loon button(2") and initial results were GREAT
    Had to stop testing to finish 90 buttons with my finish apprentice(65 yr old lady that's working out fantastic).
    Will try to post some before and after pics tomorrow, and it's got me thinking of making my own shapes out of 3M pads in the shapes I need.
    Hope this helps at all.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I've been rockin the EuroTool files for about 15 years too...good stuff. I mainly use them for fine metal work (silver/brass/jewelry). Horrible Freight has cheaper ones which aren't too bad...plus cheap (like $3 a set) diamond files which are OK too.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Almost mentioned diamond mini rifflers which I use a lot for tons of stuff, but really hard to tell the grit from pics.
    Got 2 almost useless sets that are too rough for most work.
    1 set that was perfect, the plastic case has disintegrated and I have no idea who made them, so couldn't recommend a brand.
    Diamond rifflers are great for tons of stuff if you can buy them when you have your fingernail there to test grit.
    Mainly use sintered "flame" tips in the Gesswein, or for custom shapes Birch dowels sanded to shape and the pressed FIRMLY into wood with appropriate grit Corundum or Diamond powder for stone/metal work.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine