Thread: Z-Zero Plate & Clip Failing to Trigger Input(s) on New ShopBot Desktop

Question Z-Zero Plate & Clip Failing to Trigger Input(s) on New ShopBot Desktop

Hello!

We received a new ShopBot Desktop (with Spindle) straight from the company about a month ago and have been putting it together as we have time.

Most recently we have zero'd the x and y and are now trying to zero the z axis. We have followed the manual for all installation thus far and in the z zeroing process have the following issue:

(1) Attach the clip to the collet or an included metal bit that is installed in the collet.
    (2) Touching the Z-Zero plate to the bottom of the bit should trigger Input #1.
    (3) Touching the Z-Zero plate to the bottom of the bit fails to trigger Input #1.

(a) The clip is installed in the first slot of the WAGO connector;
    (b) The Z-Zero plate is installed in the second slot of the WAGO connector;
    (c) The WAGO connector is plugged into the front, where it goes;
    (d) The ShopBot Desktop is connected to the computer and can otherwise be controlled by the software;

As far as troubleshooting, what should my next steps be?

Thank you, ShopBot Family!

I would try touching the clip directly to the Z-Zero plate to see if it triggers at all, if not then there is something wrong in the connection. I don't have a desktop but at least it should be similar to my PRT Alpha. The connector has the plate in the 2nd slot (black wire) and the clip on the 1st slot (green wire).

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    I would try touching the clip directly to the Z-Zero plate to see if it triggers at all, if not then there is something wrong in the connection. I don't have a desktop but at least it should be similar to my PRT Alpha. The connector has the plate in the 2nd slot (black wire) and the clip on the 1st slot (green wire).

Joe
    Thanks for the reply, Joe.

I tried touching the clip directly to the Z-Zero plate: it does not trigger any input. So something must be wrong with the connection.

Where/how do I troubleshoot the connection?

Jamie

Pull the clear acrylic cover off via two 3/16" allen bolts.

Look on the input block of the board. The Zzero harness connects to Input 1, Gnd and 5v. Make sure they are all in there and snug.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Pull the clear acrylic cover off via two 3/16" allen bolts.

Look on the input block of the board. The Zzero harness connects to Input 1, Gnd and 5v. Make sure they are all in there and snug.

-B
    I opened the rear cover of the circuitry and had a look. You gave clear instructions, Brady, and in the first picture below you can see a circuit board (is this the input block?) with 5v and gnd with no cables anywhere near them. Is that where the cables ought to be plugged in?

As I'm not quite sure where exactly I should be looking, I took some additional photos of all the rear circuitry with the hope that the ShopBot family can help guide me.

BreeaK.jpg

L2wXls.jpg

dJiCCX.jpg

qYK456.jpg

JwgxVp.jpg

Thanks,

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie B; 10-06-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fixing some grammar.

Solved --

After calling ShopBot support, I had a theory that the wiring was a bit strange in our Desktop.
    When testing to see if shorting the left two pins at the WAGO clip connector at front of the machine would trigger Input 1, I instead saw some sparks fly, suggesting that the wiring had been reversed. However, shorting the right two pins also failed to trigger Input 1.

Using a digital multimeter I found that I had +5v when the red cable was attached to the left most pin and the black cable attached to the second pin from the left.
    After some rewiring of the WAGO clip itself, I now have the ground clip on the second from the left and the Z-Zero plate all the way on the right, and everything works!

Thanks for posting the solution Jamie
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine