Thread: Just for Fun (Design Challenge)

Default Just for Fun (Design Challenge)

Lets say you have been contacted by a new church coming to town needing a sign. The building is under way and they have a $8K budget for your sign. The name for the church is "St. James Greek Orthodox Christian Church.

I had this same challenge a few months ago but their budget wasn't large enough. However, it did get my creative juices going. Looking back I wish I'd taken on the challenge no matter what it cost because it would be a feature piece for the portfolio. So my question is how would you approach this work. This is your job to do!

Let me begin by saying I looked at the architects drawings and layout of the land. In the back of my mind there were two elements that stood out. First was construction materials. To me it had to reflect Greek Orthodoxy. Rough Stone and Iron work seemed appropriate. My mind reflected back on the Bizantine Icons we know from that era. Then came the letter style. It shouldn't be clunky or too thin. Would it be black, green copper, or gold?

What would you do

Here's a Bizantine Icon I collected last month from D'Orsey museum in Paris. Something like this or one of the Circles with Many and Jesus. Another option would be several historical Icons. The Apostles would also work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice idea Joe. I don't know enough about Greek Orthodox architecture to participate right now. Maybe this winter when things slow down some I can do some research. Bob

Bob,

I full well understand. This is the kind of research I find exciting. For sure it takes investigation and eliminates most of the competition. Once upon a time we had lots of artists open to challenges like this.

I'm still believe we should move beyond the mechanics. And move upward to the craft of woodworking.

Joe

Yes the design can be the most interesting and challenging part, I do not do many signs but use the same approach for designing furniture for churches, taking it the architectural details of the structure and incorporating into the design while making a piece that will still be in use after I am gone.

Brian,

I'm in total agreement with your idea. This kind of signage doesn't need to be fancy or complex. In my minds eye we are looking a rough planks or big boulders as the super structure. Some rough iron could be an integral part of the structure. This could or would be the setting for the sign itself.

Joe

Joe
    I hear the crickets .I just gave a a couple of sign on a Facebook contest [anyone doubts Facebook as a marketing tool is living under a rock] I do have a hole to fill its good opportunity to try something new .Thanks for your time I always read your posts
    Kevin

Kevin,

Good for you. One of my favorite ways to approach projects is by looking for a theme. Font choices are sometimes quickly narrowed by a historical view. So I strongly suggest searching the history of a business or institution.

For Example: Lets say you are contacted by the local Fire Station for a small building ID sign. This could be lots of fun by imparting symbolic images, colors, dingbats, and letter styles. It's all spelled out for us with a little research and could be economical.

Joe