Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVC Thickness

RB99 Why is that?

NMES

Let me complement you on the illustration. I know the extra time it took to scale the photo and the lettering. You did an excellent job. We need more examples like this showing the final product.

I have one question. Why are the letters so big. Is this the request from the client.

1/2 PVC isn't manufactured for exterior use. It warps like crazy the way you're showing the installation. Even .75 could warp. You'd be better off with good old MDO. It's cheap and tough.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

The story is I'm a mechanical engineer with a CNC router. I have never done sign work and probably won't do much of it after this. I wanted to help the guys out at the gym I go to and offered to cut them a sign. We brainstormed about it and they have a visibility issue with people being able to see the gym from the street, so we figured make the letters as big as possible.

I like the Gemini stuff but they don't have the budget for it, at least currently.

I like the idea of MDO but I've never used it and I don't want to recommend them something that won't last a year. How long would you give MDO in a New England environment?

Thanks,

Nick

MDO has been around for fifty years and is often used for billboards. It's a marine grade plywood with a smooth receiver surface. When painted properly it'll outlast just about anything.

We often see fellows offering to make signs for free or very cheap when it comes to the Boy Scouts, Churches, and athletic teams etc. This has always been a thorn for us commercial fellows. After all we have family's to support and kids to purchase clothes for. Not to mention the regular costs of running a business. There's lots of skill required to run one of these businesses.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Quote Originally Posted by NMES View Post
    RB99 Why is that?
    It looks bad to have them running right along the top of the doors. There needs to be a space there. Not just 1/2" either.

I would also want to see the whole building and how they look, not just a piece of the building.