Thread: My Buddy Showed up today!

Default My Buddy Showed up today!

Well its here==My new BT48 Alpha with 2.2hp Spindle

Left Raliegh on Monday--arrived in Toronto Canada today (2 days later!!). Were busy getting the cables run, and attaching the VFT box for the spindle--we should have the machine moving Thursday. Anyone questioning the charge for the crate--DONT! This this was done right!--So Far--One HAPPY CAMPER

PEZ

PEZ,
    How long has it been from the time you ordered your machine till you have just received it?
    Thanks
    Bill.

Three Sisters Woodshop, Fort Washington PA

They must be getting faster... 2 days to Toronto, that's pretty good. Took three days to get to Philadelphia PA area from down there.

I agree, my buddy was crated very well.

Me too. In general what is the time between ordering and shipping? And would a Buddy fit in the back of an 05 Tacoma Pickup? I can't find the crate dimensions.

Greg, a full sized pickup might fit, but getting it loaded and unloaded without a forklift would be an interesting challenge. Consider renting a box van with a lift gate. The buddies are HEAVY, and the crate is heavy too. I don't know what the combination weighs but its probably over 1000 pounds. A BT-48 will weigh even more.

We used a pallet dolly to move my crated BT-32 around until we uncrated it. Then used the dolly again to move it into its "initial position". A few days later I put wheels on mine (they didn't come with them in the beginnning).

When my BT-32 showed up we had 5 men on hand, but didn't ever attempt the brute force method of moving it. It was probably possible with 5 guys, but not practical, the dolly worked out just great.

Here are the photos of my bots arrival day:

How it looked in the crate:

35467.jpg

The instructions that come stapled to the side of the crate suggest you use the front crate wall as a ramp, so we took that advise. It is already set to bolt back into the ramp position.

35468.jpg

Then to get the palette jack under the crated bot, using 2x4's as crowbars.

35469.jpg

Then to get the back side up that extra inch..

35470.jpg

Removing the last of the hold-down blocks:

35471.jpg

Finally it rolls off down the ramp.

35472.jpg

Where else to start?

35473.jpg

Now figuring out where to put the power cable-

35474.jpg

That should give the general idea of what it was like around here when the blessed day arrived.

As to order-to-delivery time. Mine was one of the first Buddys off the line, so my experience probably is not typical of current expectations, however mine took 3 months and zillions of phone calls to get it here.

Hope that helps!

D

If you pick the machine up at the factory, they don't crate it. They put mine on with a fork truck. I used a 4x8 trailer with a tilting bed. We strapped it down, drove it home and backed it up to the garage door. About then, a buddy showed up and we tilted the bed (very easy) with the feet down so it wouldn't slide too bad and pushed it down the slope. They told me 800 lbs. (48") and it seemed to lift down the 2" pretty easily (the trailer lip sat right on the concrete). Then I just put the feet up and rolled it into position. Saved enough on crating fee and delivery to get the 12' Powerstick too!

Mike

CONGRATS! My wife and I used a Buddy 48 at the Maker Faire, very versatile machine, I think you'll love it.

Keep posting pictures as you start making cuts and don't be afraid to ask questions.

/RB

Hey All

Order date was Sept 25--Arrival date 1 hour north of Toronto - Oct 29. We got all the wiring done today and had the machine moving and "air cut" the SB logo--then it was time to go home...Going through all the setup stuff and expect to start cutting next week!

Will post stuff--PEZ

PEZ,
    Excellent post some pictures so we can see what's going on mine will be on it's way in about a week.
    Bill.