Thread: spindle fans cut out

Default spindle fans cut out

The cooling fans on my two HSD spindles suddenly stopped working, everything else seems to be fine. (prs alpha)
    Any ideas?

Check the 24v power supply and connections. This is what powers the spindle fan on HSDs.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I bought my mamchine with 4 HP HSD spindle in Feb 2012. I think it was March or April of that year, my fan also refused to come on when I powered up my machine. I got a replacement from Shopbot, but between the time I told them my fan wasnt working, until it arrived - I read somewhere that this isnt uncommon, and sometimes the fan will often work if you give it a little blast of air to get started.

Its Oct 2015 and the same fan is still on my spindle - when I turn on the machine, I just give the spindle fan a small blast from the air line hanging next to my machine, and it always stays running. If it ever dies I still have the replacement..

Worth a try. Im assuming they are small brushed DC motors. Probably just dirty a commutator or something.. but once it gets spinning it stays running.

they do die but don't cost a lot to replace. but I battled mine turning on and off as it moved. it would come home stop and the fan would stop then start again seconds or a minute later. I replaced fans and check all the connections waggled wires for years. I finally found it was the zip ties holding the wire to the chain. it got better and almost vanished then came back worse then ever. I finally bought some lamp wire to just replace it and was clipping the last zip tie and it has been fine every since.

Thanks everyone, I checked (wiggled) the power supply and made sure the wires were tight. They seem to work today. I havened opened that box in 8 years, just worked loss I hope.