Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be really nice...

Default What would be really nice...

Is to have some sort of projector display a scaled image of the piece to be cut on your table. This would really help when you are trying to strategically place sheet goods. If you have a piece with a blemish, knots, or a previous "learning experience" you want to work around.

Shirley this has been thought of already.

Maybe easier to snap a pic of the wood from a long distance and scale it in the software instead and then build on top of it?

They been had it...NEMI

Hope your pockets are prenty deep...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

We use one kid on a tape measure and one at the pc drawing in knots and things.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

It might be possible to do something like this with a PC projector and the preview screen. There would obviously be some calibration involved initially, but you might get usable results.

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    It might be possible to do something like this with a PC projector and the preview screen. There would obviously be some calibration involved initially, but you might get usable results.
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Setup might take some time, but it seems like it would be worth it if you make a variety of things in various sizes. I'm really just getting started, and I'm discovering that if I don't make sure I optimize my materials, then I'm going to leave a lot of money on the table. The other day, I made my first cut into a piece of aluminum composite, and I made a quarter-size goof towards the middle of the piece. If I could project my next project onto the material before cutting, I could make adjustments and work around the goof with a high level of confidence.

I had thought about this alot because i was running into issues of clamp placement and sometimes spend alot of time measuring dimensions and transferring that to the material.
    I could see how you might be able to project something from above but your carriage is going to get in the way.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I would just cut out the perimeter cut with 1/2 home depot insulation, lay it on your material on the bot where you want it and rezero there. Bob

I though some news print over it and plot it with a widgetworks plotter pen. Have been doing this for years when I have to cut out perprinted material.

I measure. And measure and measure.
    Sometimes a piece of material just isn't going to work, so I grab another piece, or make a useful piece out of the knotty piece by adding another width of stock to it.