Thread: USMC logo as inlay

Default USMC logo as inlay

I'm at the beginning stages of building a bar for my son using a bar top already constructed i tore out of my basement. It has a bit of an irregular surface and was previously covered with epoxy.

I want to find a USMC logo suited to use as a inlay logo. Has anyone done this previously? I have made some inlays where some parts are just too small and thin and wanted to find out if anyone had that issue with any parts of this logo?

Also since it had previously been epoxied should i take the surface down a few thousandths to bare wood on the whole bartop, do the carve out of the female part, carve the male part out of different species, glue together, surface off different species....

Or just do the whole surfacing as i take different species off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack…
    I think that question will answer itself when you try to level it… The V-carving and inlay won’t be consistent unless the top is uniformly level!
    SG

Jack, in reading the bar top epoxy instructions, it says you can't "patch an area".
    So I'd say do whatever you need to do, make nice edges (if the edges match the model's border, that'd be excellent), and then cover the entire top with the bar epoxy.
    Looking forward to how it turns out!!!

Just an idea...
    The logo in the center would look awesome, surrounded by some concentric circles that contain words like "United States Marine Corps" and your son's rank and name.
    Then, in the corners of the table, just put in the logo on a 45* angle.
    That'd be SICK.
    Looking forward to your progress!!!

If I can find a pic of the Marine plaque I did, I'll show ya...
    Didn't find it yet, but here's the logo I used...

Last edited by shilala; 10-24-2015 at 10:56 PM.

I found the pics of the plaque, Jack.
    You'd have to hollow or dish to make it work, but that'd be easy.

+1 on what Steve said Jack.
    Like the idea of a dish like Scott said, except liquids like to go downhill.
    Perhaps a light colored wood circle pocketed in with the inlay done into that?
    Less chance of screwing up the original bar top, and if you muck it up, just make another stab at it.
    Maybe a VInlay to keep detail while giving you a flush top?
    In this link I got a lot of good advice;
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...9&hilit=vinlay
    Just thinking, and it may not be what you have in mind.
    Tutorial here;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4992bEoNYI
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

On the front face (where your knees go) i was thinking of having a 3d logo inset into a circle where i would light it with LEDs and make that out of maple or cherry. Then on the rest of the face 8'x3' i would vcarve this regiment, platoon, ect info probably out of mdf.

But for the top of the bar i wanted to take a flat 2d logo of the marine emblem along with the letters USMC and inlay them on the top of the bar similar to your tutorial you point to ScottP. thanks

Scott S I see what you are saying and frankly it would be easier to just cut a hole and insert a 3d logo of a different species without having to re-do the whole bar top and if i wasn't doing that on the front i might do it that way. I'm going to change the design (in my head) to see if your suggestion works....thanks

Also since the bar top sticks over the front (by at least 10" and is quite heavy making it a tip over hazard if you notice in picture 2 i have a step and space past that. I'm thinking of some kind of decorative column with a marine/military theme or maybe something like a sitting eagle as a column. I'm going to check ebay for something like that. Other suggestions welcomed.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Everyone has their own taste withwhat looks good or not. I have seen very few inlays that i like. the idea of a bowl/emblem appeals to me more. i have some pretty cool vectors if you might like them. email me at ashwood1296@gmail.com if you want them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

of all of the inlays that i have seen this one impressed me the most. i think that they have made more than just this one.
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11528

Welp... After seeing that, time to go back to feeling insignificant