Please take a look at my new vacuum box design:
I've still got some testing to do, but I'd love to get this design out so other folks can build and test it. This design is my own and has very little to do with other box designs before it.
See below for some information about my goals.
· It's easy to maintain! The parts are modular- most can be modified and replaced as they wear. The box can be opened for any necessary maintenance and repair. The motor filters are serviceable and easily cleaned.
· It's easy to build! It is built using simple CNC milling- no double sided milling and only simple pockets and profiles. Only basic assembly and glue-up is necessary for the main box structure. More complex parts can be simplified. The box doesn't need to be air tight as long as the motor mounts are sealed properly since the vacuum is pulled through PVC piping. The box could be made from most any materials.
· It's efficient and quiet! Motors can be engaged individually instead of in pairs to save energy. It uses only the amount of power needed. Average noise level is hopefully reduced.
· So far, it's reliable! It's average operating temperate is low, but it needs to be tested further. Each motor has thermal protection to prevent overheating. Cooling fans stay on even when the motors are off to ensure it cools completely.
· It will be well documented and I hope to setup forums to make it user supported. There is the potential for multiple designs so it can be modified for your needs!
· It'll stay completely open source!
If all goes well, I will make available:
· A bill of materials with information on sourcing
· A 3d model in multiple formats
· CNC (vcarve files) for easy milling
· Assembly instructions to simplify construction