Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Employees getting it wrong

Default Employees getting it wrong

We have turned on the vacuum tables on our machines manually forever without any problem until now. I have a guy who keeps failing to turn it or or turning on the wrong vacuum table and ruining material because the part gets pushed around the table.

I'm contemplating incorporating a contactor to turn on the correct vacuum motor. I'm looking for the best approach. The controller is a PRT. The PC supply in the box delivers 3.3V, 5V, and 12V. The motor power supply is 44V. I'm guessing the outputs on the controller are 5V.

The two solutions I would be familiar with would be to use an SSR (have some on hand), but I see there is a concern of over amperage even when off :https://www.omron.com/ecb/products/p...utions_ssr.pdf

The other solution I could implement is a 5V relay board to control a 110 voltage and then drive this contactor . I'm thinking there is likely another way that I'm unaware of. Please let me know if there is a better cost effective solution.

Not sure what the concern with amperage is, provided the SSR is spec'd properly and mounted on a heat sink if necessary.
    On my machine I don't run the vacuum but my dust collector (about 10 amps) is controlled using a 20 amp Opto22 SSR and that has been working just fine for several years. I hate contactors due to the solenoid drive power requirements, the contact wear and the arcing EMI. Nowadays it is kind of steampunk technology.

I woke up with what I think is a simpler solution. I'll swap out the switch turning on the vacuum with one of these and connect the other pole to an input on the control board and add a custom header that stops the programs if it is not turned on.

I think your problem is much simpler. Replace the loose nut behind the machine. If the loose nut can't turn on the vac before the toolpath start.

Yeah. If a guy can't learn to follow a procedure he is not going to rise very far and do much for you.... culling the problem early- while you have less invested ( in him as well as lost work) may be a decent answer. You could pay a couple more dollars an hour and get a better class of employee. Hate to be mercenary- but that is a pretty dang simple set of processes. Does he remember to set the speed on the spindle and hit the button to activate it?? Have you lost bits with him that way?? Just does not bode well for his intellect and ability to absorb this process and more complex processes to come....

"I think your problem is much simpler. Replace the loose nut behind the machine"

No, just get rid of the employee if they continue to cost you money over stupid mistakes, or take it out of their pay...THEN they won't forget to do it properly.

Actually, it is simple to incorporate a popup reminder screen, although i have forgotten how. But recall when you do a Z level with the plate and after the procedure it pops up a message asking if you removed the clip and you have to answer yes/no/cancel ?

Well i'm sure you can incorporate a popup screen regarding turning on your vacumn that the operator has to click on before he can start the cutting process. Others can tell you how to do it, i have forgotten but that seems simple and you can log your files to see it is done.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

you could use an output switch to toggle a 220 volt relay for your vac. just like the spindle switch. My air compressor has an air valve so when I shut my lights off it shuts the air down at the compressor.

If you want the vac to come on before the table can start winding up, some ice cube relays run out to contactors would be great.
    But then you have the problem "does this employee have the part set correctly in the machine?"
    There are so many ways to control the vac and machine to come on, it's hard to suggest one without seeing what you're doing in the shop, and going over your process quickly.

What I WOULD NOT do is take power for the control circuit from the psu on your computer.
    I'd isolate a low voltage circuit to go through the switches (for safety's sake) and out to the contactors you'll be adding for the vaccuums.
    It's not a lot of money, can be easily done, and will put your vacuum starter right at your shopbot near your input device.

You could also easily start the vacuum and create a timed lockout for the shopbot to spin up. Or use a vac proving end switch.
    That's all easy, too.

Once again, I'm not looking at what you have there, and it's been about 10 years since I quit designing control systems.
    I wish I was handy to take a look for you, brother.

My first thought was "fire the guy" if he keeps on making the same mistake like that over and over.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

true. myself I have physical switches with lights at the front of the machine this makes it easy to see if the vac is one and it is easy to do.