Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Desktop Cost in Canada

Default Shopbot Desktop Cost in Canada

Has any one in Canada purchased a Shopbot desktop lately? I'm trying to get an accurate as possible price on the Base model no router (I would get the Porter Cable one here). There is:

Cost: $4995.00
    Shipping: $385.00
    Duties and Broker Fees: ????
    Canadian Conversion: 1.30 on the dollar
    10% GST Tax

My estimation if I'm correct is about $8500.00 :-(

Any ideas if I'm close or off, and any experience?

Hi, I bought one in august 2012. The broker fees was 101$cdn and the duties (labelled B3 GST) were 277.92. It was based on a 5549$US machine value. It was a basic desktop including the porter-cable router. I am living in Montreal.

Hope it helps

It does help. Thanks. So if you spent 5549 us it ended up a fair bit more I assume. I don't remember the dollar back in 2012. How do you like it?

This is a good site for currency exchange values: http://www.xe.com/#

Right now it is $1.3305

You will also pay about 3% to Visa, PayPal, your bank or anyone else that does the exchange from CAD to USD. That is on top of other fees usually. HST is 14% where I am.

The machine is fantastic, as is the support from Shopbot Tools and the guys in this forum. I congratulate myself for buying a ShopBot everytime I use it.

As for the price, well, what can I say... after a couple months I just didn't think about it anymore.

Good luck.

The way the dollar is now, I have basically stopped buying anything out of the USA. It costs almost double the USD price in CAD by the time it gets here. Many Canadian suppliers that have stock are selling things way cheaper than they are selling in the US, I guess until the inventory is gone.

The only thing I can add is that a lot of used desktops come across the forum.
    If the seller is motivated and still has the crate, it might be easy enough to talk him into shipping to Canada?
    The savings should make the final price something realistic.

That said, the used desktops never last for long at all.
    This stuff is built to last forever, and taken care of, it will. Without fail.

Even if you end up paying $8500, it'll be the most satisfying $8500 you ever spent, my brother.
    Know that I feel for you. I wish there was some way around this beating, it ain't right.

To be honest, you'll see bigger savings on much bigger machines. Many that have set for a couple years and never come out of their shipping crates, for whatever reason.
    If you could swing something like that, and resell it up there, that should leave you plenty of extra coin to get yourself a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    The way the dollar is now, I have basically stopped buying anything out of the USA. It costs almost double the USD price in CAD by the time it gets here
    Ditto here in AUS.....stopped buying from States unless absolutely essential. Thank goodness I bought my Bot when it was almost parity!!
    A lot of my business relies on importing components from Switzerland and that is worse exchange......only last year was near parity.....then over a year bang it drops like a hot potato and business is down 50%.
    Motto.....when it gets good again stock up!! I think it will get worse before good though!

Good luck with your purchase......at some stage you got to draw the line and do it!
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Make sure to get 5.5" Z and VCP8 ----MAJOR POINTS!
    Sweet Machine!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I bought a bot off another Canadian to avoid the hassle of getting one out of the states. I had looked at another used unit in the states but was challenged by arranging the logistics to get the unit shipped to Canada. The problem is that everyone prices them in terms of the US dollar, even it you purchase it here in Canada.

As another writer pointed out that you can get a better deal if you can be patient and find a motivated seller. Be prepared to move on it quickly and work out the logistics of exporting a used unit to Canada in advance to make the whole operation go smoother.

Cheers,

James