Thread: quick change spindle

Hybrid View

Default quick change spindle

Okay, its been a while since my last post,several months actually. Ive been busy learning to operate and doing some upgrades on my PRS Alpha. After a few months of processing parts and inumberable z zero operations, I finally updated the software to take advantage of the bit change without rezeroing the z axis. This is the main advantage of the quick change spindle.

I currently have three HSK toolholders which can be programmed into the sb control software and take advantage of atc tool changes. Today Ryan and I programmed tooling for two of my tool holders and allows me to change bits while running a cut file without doing a z zero operation.

After doing tool changes the regular, mtc way for several months, I have a definate appreciation for atc style tool changes. Most of my cutting involves one bit and air drill for drilling pilot holes. A couple of times a week I run mdf doors which requires a tool change after I run the center panel profile bit. The next time I run them, I will be able to switch between the two bits and run muliple sheets without having to do a z zero operation.

Today, after cutting some plywood and melamine with a 3/8" spiral compression, I was able to switch over to a 3/16" downspiral and cut out some cardboard for shipping boxes and then back to 3/8" compression without zeroing. It was pretty nice and much more convenient than dragging out the zero plate and alligator clip and hooking up to bit and zeroing the bit after changing.

Next week, Im sure I will have some doors to cut out and more atc style tool changes and gain more appreciation for the quick change spindle!

Have a Great weekend!
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    HSD 4hp Quick change spindle, HSK toolholders
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table

Elite Wood Designs, LLC, Social Circle GA

How about some pictures? Would like to see your setup.

I'll get some pictures up soon.
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table

Okay here are some pics.

IMG_0067.jpgIMG_0068.jpgIMG_0069.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0071.jpg

The software prompts you to change the bit. Quick turn of the allen wrench and pop it out and put in new one. Tool heights are saved in the computer and recalled when you change the bit.
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table

IMG_0072.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpgIMG_0076.jpg

Once you have changed the bit, the software continues running the cut file. In the pictures here, the 3/8" compression bit was inserted when the file called for a tool change. No zeroing of the bit was done in the middle of the cut file. Just change the bit and continue cutting. It's great and a huge time/headache saver!

You will note that the second tool holder has a 1/4" compression bit. I took the pictures after the doors were cut and I had already replaced the center panel profile bit with a smaller straight bit for some other cutting that needed 1/4" bit. I currently have three tool holders and keep a 2.5" spoil board fly cutter in the third holder.
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table

Does this work for a Porter Cable 3.25hp router? What does it cost to get into this system? Would you point me to a site that has pricing?

Thanks