Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Ones work

Default Pricing Ones work

I had a customer contact me to make a product. He said the other person Had quit Making the part for them. He had no drawing Just a proto type. I drew the part up, checked price of wood. Ran a simulation to see how long it would take and gave him a price of $9.52 each. This product is a bit eater unless you pocket out one section that takes time. Then you have to cut out the outside of the part.

This is what I got back from the customer.

Thanks for getting back with me. The last person that did them did it for about $4 per piece so I think we are going to have to go in another direction. Thanks for taking a look at it

The part looks simple but time pocketing out is the killer. Vaccum would have a hard time holding the small part.
    I think the low price is why the other company quit making them.

here is what the part looked like (there is several mistakes put into this file. )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

It sucks you did so much work for free. Check out this video about spec work...

Brilliant!

“There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper,
    and the people who consider price alone are that person’s lawful prey.

It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,
    because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot —
    it can’t be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder,
    it is well to add something for the risk you run,
    and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I like the old greek guys attitude..."first you pay, then you eat!" and "you work for the government don't you?" There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anymore.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

When someone has you figuring stuff out to get the job, that is called "Building A Specification".

Building a specification is billable.

What you can tell the potential customer is "I will have to create the artwork/3D model, create the toolpaths, run some tests and cut a sample. It will cost $ X to build your specification. Once the pricing is approved, that cost will be deducted from the order."

Give them a quote to get the quote.

This makes me laugh because it's an extension of capitalism. You can't blame the customer for trying to save money. We all do it. Everyone with a Shopbot knows what I mean.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacg View Post
    Thats funny, brings me back when I did interior trim work, contractor found someone cheaper then came to me because it was not right.

Paid for his mistake and my original rate.

I loved all of the post. all of you are right. We all need to start charging for our design time. Especially me. This is the 8th time this year I have drawn something up and then lost the bid.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Rather than just state the obvious, what do you fellers think would be the best way to educate the customer and build value? What is the solution to this problem?

There seems to be little value placed on most kinds of craftsmanship these days and I would imagine that has something to do with the fact that few people actually do anything tangible anymore. Few know first hand what goes into creating a one-off or a production run of parts. How did the idea that what you do is easy go lucky come to pass?

Is it just the flawed thinking of the customer or something else? For example, when I see something that a fellow craftsman has made, I imagine in my mind's eye what it would take for me to do it, walking through the steps. I then have a deeper appreciation for the object in question, because I recognize the time and effort investment.

What would you do to stave off some of the attitudes/thoughts about your products, given the vid/pic examples in this thread? I think we can all relate & we can also complain...but maybe if we put our heads together we could find ways to win over hearts and wallets, and create a better listening for what we do.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com