Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Max

Default Desktop Max

It looks like I checked the web page almost every day. Bam. Desktop Max. $9,000. So here it goes. I'm retired cop on budget income. So I want a Shopbot. Several ideas but basic stuff. Do I keep saving for the extra large $9,000 or get the reg size $5,000. Is double the size really worth the double price? I've looked at other machines. Shopbot is where I wanna be. Gonna be awhile for $9,000. Also looking (Dreaming) at Trotec Laser. $28,000. WHAT!!! I joined a club that has both Trotec and Shopbot but you pay $25 hour. Killing me. Thoughts. Ideas.
    Last edited by joewink; 11-10-2015 at 05:35 PM.

What is the intended purpose of proposed machine? Do you just want to have it, or do you need it?

I've been around CNCs for a long time & find it important to point out that just owning one promises you exactly squat. It is hard to make a living just machining and unless you have an existing specific product where automation would improve the margins, then plan on it just being a fun tool/toy expense...and there is certainly nothing wrong with that!

I think everyone should have their own machine, but it is important to not be fooled into thinking it would be any different than buying a 100hp mobile sandblaster...or saw mill...or tow truck. There's money to be made, but it is work...

When it comes to CNCs, it is best to err on the side of going larger than staying small. It gives you more opportunities.

Without knowing what your goals are, it's hard to point you in any direction.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I would love 4x4 alpha with spindle. I think 24x18 would be ok for me. Just trying to justify paying double for double the size. Looking at making police plaques, sports stuff, kitchen signs, bird houses, art in general, tool holders, male valet box. Shit like that. No large things like chairs or furniture. That's why DT OR DTMAX dilemma.

The machine they had at NJ gathering was nice but again, really not needed.

Don't rule out buying used. I've made a decent living with my 2004 PRT. Also buy the biggest machine you have the money/room for. It's a lot easier to make small things on a big machine then it is trying to make big things on a small machine.

A 4x4 is a nice machine because you can index a 4x8 sheet and pass material through for longer signs etc. However, the gold standard is a 4x8. Alpha or Standard will be fine for what you are looking to do.

Don't get me wrong, the DT and Max are great machines, but they are setup for smaller work. If you need to do fine work like inlays and finely detailed 3D carvings, these smaller tools are ideal for that. Larger scale work where ultra fine resolution is not needed, the larger tools are what you want. I own both and use them for a wide variety of tasks.

If I were to advise you, I would suggest considering a 4x4 or 4x8 Standard with a spindle. That will let you tackle just about anything you can throw at it. Used is also good, as Kurt points out. Just know what you are getting before you pull the trigger.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Just a note Joseph.....Best investment after the 2 DT's themselves was going with the spindle....Your ears/pets/and neighbors will thank you.
    Can't imagine ever going a router anymore.
    Had an apprentice in shop for 5 weeks, and it would have been VERY difficult to teach her anything with the noise.
    2 cents,
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I would expect with the new max out there might be a few standard Desktop come up for sale.......

I have the ShobBot buddy with a 4 foot table. Primarily i do plaques that are up to 17 inches round. I very seldom do anything bigger, but i do on occasion. Mine is set up in the corner of my garage so space is important and i am on 5 acres so the sound of the router is not an issue.

Rule of thumb, buy a little bigger than you think that you need.

Police, fire and military plaques are my mostly what i make.

The system price for the Desktop with the spindle is $7,135.00. It looks like the Desktop Max price of $9090.00 is with the spindle. I don’t know if the Max price includes the Desktop Starter Bit Kit and shipping but if it does then it is only $1,955.00 more than the Desktop. Just saying it does not look like the Desktop Max is twice the price of the original Desktop.