Thread: it always rains at my house now.

Default it always rains at my house now.

we needed new stairs the stringers were cracked and the steps cracked and breaking off after 25 years. I did a trade wit ha basement buddy for the ipe and another friend a trade for building them. he loved to do Japanese carpentry and handwork. he used recycled 2x12’s two on the outside and a stringer down the middle, it made the stairs as solid as concrete. the rail needs replaced but it is sure solid. I wanted something for the risers I was going to light them from the back but with the center stringer it would be expensive and I could not work out a design. so rain drops popped into my head. I first tried gluing them on with that construction adhesive for wet/frozen wood but it rained two hours later and they fell off. so I decided to mortise them in. I used brushed dibond and about 5 different drops and mirrored them and made them as random as practical and different numbers on each. at first I was going to have a few drops at top and more as they went down but then decided to just do random numbers and placement. the wood was not really flat so it was a bit of a pain and I had to use a 1/8” bit to get the inlay right and they wanted to go flying. but they are done and seem to be nice and subtle. the light is a bit off it is just blue and regular light.

Good idea and it looks great. Very effective at night.

I was disappointed on the Blue meds they just did not light the up at all. s oI ended up adding a little led spotlight. this is before the spotlight