Thread: US Open 9-ball Championships

Default US Open 9-ball Championships

Gotcha how many feared spam?? Ha ha, I am actually on topic!

I had to wait till after the presentation before I could share this. I made this commisioned plaque for Barry, the owner of Q-Masters here in the tidewater area. Barry Behrman is the tournament promoter of the Men's Division, and has been since its inception. More info on the tourny if you care click here.

I modeled the logo from scratch and think the 9-ball came out cool. My initial thought was to gold leaf the stripe on the 9. After looking at the leaf against a test piece with clear it was just an awful idea. How can actual gold make something trashy? dunno but it did. So I remodeled the 9 ball to hint at the stripe with a gentle subtraction. I think it came out classy that way. I had also tried with the 9 engraved but it was not as good looking to me.

You can see the actual logo on page here but here it is. you can see I opted to take some artistic license with the ripples and the globe under the ball. When adding that the logo was so busy and I knew it would not look great on the wall that way. Clean and smooth lets the wood be the star!

This was made with 4/4 Padouk, 0.25 rough 4ips, 0.0625 5.4degree taper @1.5ips on my PRS in about 18-20 hours total.

Still a little blush as the clear dries
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Many days of my mis spent youth were wasted perfecting the art of 9 ball down at Dink's Pool Hall. Unbeknownst to us they played cards in the back gambling...but that's another story.
    The carving looks really clean and sharp. That wood must be good for carving. I always think a plaque looks good when you have a combination of relief and vcarving along with 3d modeling. EXCELLENT job!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Padauk carves like a dream Jack...if only we could hang on to that fresh cut color
    VERY nice job Joe!
    I like the mixed toolpaths too
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks guys. It was a pleasure to cut. As always nice sharp bits. The paduak smelled so good while cutting.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    The paduak smelled so good while cutting.
    It smells like vanilla to me when you machine it... yum!